Lab guys sorry but....

Only reason for me that I brought up the table scrap issue is two fold for me......my previous Lab and his brother both developed diabetes after about 4 years. My sister/brother in law had young kids and Mom would watch them alot. Mom also watched both dogs alot. As it played out, the dogs were getting alot of human food, whether it be from the kids messy-ness and clean up by the dogs, or the kids giving them food, or Mom giving then what may be left.
The dogs came from quality bloodlines on both sides with no history of diabetes. None of the other 4 dogs in that litter developed diabetes. Long story short, the only conclusion or explanation was that it was related to the excess human food they were "getting" and the "sugars" in that food. Both dogs were blind by 6 or 7 from the diabetes, which lead to other health issues. Was crazy and tough.
The other reason, is simply I don't want my dog to even consider getting a morsel as an option to start any bad habits.
I have given him fresh garden vegetables such as green beans and such, outside of the house. Mine loves fresh green beans and can be used as a training reward or treat too.
Whisky loves fresh veggies as well. It is funny to watch and listen to him eating broccoli. crunch crunch crunch

Whisky loves fresh veggies as well. It is funny to watch and listen to him eating broccoli. crunch crunch crunch
For sure! Once the diabetes issue popped with my last lab, fresh beans, carrots, broccoli and celery!
And honestly, much cheaper once the gardens come in! Lol!

I love your youtube channel. I like that most of the times it is just you and Sage out for a good time. The hunts in SD with 10 guys and 6 dogs sweeping a field and everybody yelling isn't that appealing. You do it right. Also Sage reminds me of my first real hunting dog Miley. Keep up the great videos.

Much appreciated. Part of the reason I started posting videos was because there wasn't much on YouTube for the one guy/one dog on public land videos. It's the most rewarding way to hunt, IMO.

For sure! Once the diabetes issue popped with my last lab, fresh beans, carrots, broccoli and celery!
And honestly, much cheaper once the gardens come in! Lol!

Don't let him know I'm telling anyone this, but Ace loves veggies too. His favorite? Fresh spinach. Truth. He goes crazy for it.

The notion that a lab is all but done after 5 or 6 years is simply false.
I've never heard of it being that early. My regular vet said there would be a noticeable slow down in energy around 10. I did see that. I haven't seen any more exponential slow down or lack of energy since though, and my dog just turned 12 last month. I can definitely see that warmer temps take a toll on her when hunting though. She does a lot better when its about 20 degrees out than when its 50.

Phin loves cucumber. spinach, bell peppers and squash. Hangs out at the counter drooling when we make a salad. He's a real omnivore. Annie the pup is following in his tracks.

Back