L. C. Smith side by side 16 ga.

dawgs14

Taking an L. C. Smith side by side 16 ga. this year I inherited from my grand father to SD. We typically fly into Sioux Falls most years so I never wanted it exposed to baggage handling but I am driving this year. I want to take a couple of pheasants with the gun but I don't want to shoot too many of those hi-power shells through it. I use it rabbit hunting here at home so that's only a few shots on a few Saturdays a year. Anybody else got a nostalgic gun they hunt with?

Nothing as spectacular as that LC Smith- but my first gun holds a place near and dear to my heart.
The Remington 1100 28 gauge my parents gave to me at Christmas when I was 10 year old.

I still get that little thing out every year or so and try to hit something with it.

Nothing as spectacular as that LC Smith- but my first gun holds a place near and dear to my heart.
The Remington 1100 28 gauge my parents gave to me at Christmas when I was 10 year old.

I still get that little thing out every year or so and try to hit something with it.
Yep, the 1100 20 ga I got at 12 years old has made the SD trip.

Taking an L. C. Smith side by side 16 ga. this year I inherited from my grand father to SD. We typically fly into Sioux Falls most years so I never wanted it exposed to baggage handling but I am driving this year. I want to take a couple of pheasants with the gun but I don't want to shoot too many of those hi-power shells through it. I use it rabbit hunting here at home so that's only a few shots on a few Saturdays a year. Anybody else got a nostalgic gun they hunt with?
If you are hunting where you can use lead shot and are worried about hi-power shells, I'd try a box of Federal Game Loads in #6 shot at 1,165 fps. They should be fine in your L.C.

How old an LC Smith are we talking about here?

I'm nostalgic about my own gun, although there's really nothing terribly special about it. A 1990 Japanese made Auto5 Sweet 16 (bought used but mint in 1999) that I've used pretty exclusively for the last 25 years. There's just nothing that feels as good to me. Although my dad is still around, the reality is he won't hunt again. So after he'd tried several times to give them to me, I finally accepted the few guns he owned. He was a 1 shotgun kind of guy, & I'll probably take his out a time or 2 this season. A 16 gauge Model 12.

I'm nostalgic about my own gun, although there's really nothing terribly special about it. A 1990 Japanese made Auto5 Sweet 16 (bought used but mint in 1999) that I've used pretty exclusively for the last 25 years. There's just nothing that feels as good to me. Although my dad is still around, the reality is he won't hunt again. So after he'd tried several times to give them to me, I finally accepted the few guns he owned. He was a 1 shotgun kind of guy, & I'll probably take his out a time or 2 this season. A 16 gauge Model 12.
My grand father probably bought it in the late 50's, early 60's. I know I heard him say it was used when he bought it. I'll see if there is a SN I can research.

I leave a Belgium 12 A5 in South Dakota at our farm house all year but my dad left me his Belgium 12 ga A5. It stays in Georgia. He was a one-gun guy as well.

If I am looking at the sn correctly, relative to the chart I have, it was manufactured between 1890 and 1919. Can that be right?

Dawgs... what is the SN?

I hunt with a 1944 16ga and a 1905 12ga. I shoot a 1oz load of #6 in both guns. The 12ga I shoot RST 2 1/2" load. The 16ga with a 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #6 will do just fine. It is most likely F/F or M/F choked.

16(left) English gun (middle) 12(right)

Attachments

• all 3.jpg
    all 3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 11
  • LC 16.jpg
    LC 16.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 11
Dawgs... what is the SN?

I hunt with a 1944 16ga and a 1905 12ga. I shoot a 1oz load of #6 in both guns. The 12ga I shoot RST 2 1/2" load. The 16ga with a 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #6 will do just fine. It is most likely F/F or M/F choked.

16(left) English gun (middle) 12(right)
This is on three different parts of the gun.

Fw 101 361
Field

Back