Koshia or Tumbleweed - are they

Kochia isn't the big problem. It is generally tall and linear and doesn't blow around as much as the real culprit, the Russian Thistle. The Russian Thistle is an introduced exotic that grows in a round bush-type pattern and, when broken off, tends to roll with the wind and create very good cowboy songs:). They're hard on fences, other real property, and car grills. If you let them grow in your new tree planting, they will rub on your seedlings and kill them outright, or grow over them and out compete them. I still love to hunt pheasants and quail in them and they do remind me of home!

Somebodies problem turns into someones else opportunity.....

"Finding them is not a challenge: "They just roll by the house." She grabs them, puts them in boxes and mails them off. And, to answer your question before you can ask it: $25 for a large tumbleweed, $15 for a small."

Darn cheap pheasant habitat in my neck of woods in SD. Woks good for nurse crop on early trees to help provide some thermal cover to winter over. I mow them 1-2 times a year as needed.

I got a mean patch growing my the barn in an old manure pile though that might be getting too much. Gets about 5-6 feet tall each year. Pheasant love it come blizzard or winter time.

Looks like it is hard to control in renters winter wheat to SW of plot.

I laugh my butt off every time I see an out-of-state car with the back seat piled full of them! Yep, I bet there's a market.

We grow some pretty big tumbleweeds out here in West Texas. Once I saw one bigger than my Chevy Avalanche and I hit it head-on running down I-10 at 70 MPH. Man, it exploded into ten thousand little pieces...

Koshia is great pheasant cover. I had a buddy that had 120 acres that was a bit flooded that he let the Kosia take over in it for a season It got around 6 feet tall and in late winter every pheasant within 5 miles must have piled into it. We'd come at it from 4 corners and the birds would bump back and forth never wanting to leave. It was tough walking for man and beast, but we took a slough of pheasants out of it.

Back