Killing Poplar in Prairie Grass

Freeborn

Hi Group,

I am looking for a herbicide that will Kill volunteer poplar trees that are emerging in my prairie grass. Most of this is along my wooded edges. I could mow but would prefer a permanent kill rather than having to mow again in a few years. What chemical are you using that works best?

Thanks!

Cut-off and treat the cut with Tordon, as haymaker says. Cut close to the ground so you aren't stepping/tripping on the dead stem/trunks or having one go through a tire or even fall onto one.

Surmount is another option. It is a mixture of Tordon and Remedy (triclopyr). Anything with Tordon in it needs to be used with caution. It will stay viable for 3 or more years in the soil or groundwater and will also be picked up by any roots from neighboring trees. If you don't want a dead woodland edge, you will have to leave a buffer. Might be safer to use triclopyr or Crossbow and leave the restricted use herbicides to the pros.

Thanks Fella's.

I'm familiar with Tordon but not Surmount, Surmount looks like a good possibility.

Has anybody use a product cold Crossbow, looks promising.

Crossbow sucks. If the trees aren't huge and you don't want to cut and treat stumps use Chaparral. Low use rate, about 5oz/ 25 gallon water. Spray the entire tree next spring once they are growing again. Done this on hundreds of acres with a near 100% kill. It's a rangeland herbicide, won't damage the grass.

Crossbow sucks. If the trees aren't huge and you don't want to cut and treat stumps use Chaparral. Low use rate, about 5oz/ 25 gallon water. Spray the entire tree next spring once they are growing again. Done this on hundreds of acres with a near 100% kill. It's a rangeland herbicide, won't damage the grass.
Thanks for the comment. So, you spray in the spring when the trees are starting to grow and not the fall. It looks a little pricy but usage is low. Do you have a cheap source?

Agree about the crossbow. I never had to much luck killing trees with it. Also if you spray an intact tree the chances of killing everything around it is pretty good.

It is a little higher priced than some of the other options but is well worth it in my opinion. I just buy it from my chemical suppliers, I generally buy from three different dealers in southern Kansas. Seems like each year one is cheaper than the others on various herbicides. I usually spray in May once everything is off and growing. Trees will be dead by late summer, then I mow them off.

It is a little higher priced than some of the other options but is well worth it in my opinion. I just buy it from my chemical suppliers, I generally buy from three different dealers in southern Kansas. Seems like each year one is cheaper than the others on various herbicides. I usually spray in May once everything is off and growing. Trees will be dead by late summer, then I mow them off.
Thanks Diesel, appreciate the good advice.

You're welcome. Also, be sure to use an adjuvant. I generally use nis ( non ionic surfactant) at 1qt/100 gallons water. This will help break through the wax on leaves and stick the herbicide. Lots of options on product, I use the cheapest I can find. Anything over 80%

Back