Killing foxtail in NWSG

jaytee

Like the title says, I've got some thin areas of little blue and side oats and the foxtail is really really thick in places. I'd like to thin it out a bit and see if my LB and SO will thicken up. What can I use that wont kill the NWSG?

You can get Ortho products across the counter. Ortho's "Weed Be Gone" active ingredient kills annuals like foxtails, crabgrass etc without harming annual grasses.

Like the title says, I've got some thin areas of little blue and side oats and the foxtail is really really thick in places. I'd like to thin it out a bit and see if my LB and SO will thicken up. What can I use that wont kill the NWSG?

JT, Plateau is phenomenal on fox-tail in NWSG. Only thing to watch out for is it will suppress young stands of switchgrass.

Good time to spray is now. I just put on 4OZ of it in my CP33 to control just that.

I didn't say earlier but this would be post-emergence. The FT is about 4 inches high or so.

read the label and detemine what rate to use based on how high weed is and maturity and species of your grass. Also use a non-ionic surfactant if stand is 1-2 years old and can use a MSO surfactant if the stand is older and more developed. Better get it quick because plateau is best as pre-emerge and early post emerge.

You will have to get very intimate with the label

Thanks for the info Chris but I may have gotten some help from Mother Nature last night. I was down in the bottom checking things out and it looks like the heavy frost we had Saturday morning may have put the hurts on the foxtail as it looks like the blades are turning brown. Not sure how long it will last but we're supposed to get another frost tonight so who knows.

Thanks for the info Chris but I may have gotten some help from Mother Nature last night. I was down in the bottom checking things out and it looks like the heavy frost we had Saturday morning may have put the hurts on the foxtail as it looks like the blades are turning brown. Not sure how long it will last but we're supposed to get another frost tonight so who knows.

Sorry for being a pessimist Jaytee but my money is on the foxtail:D

If nothing else do test plot where you spray and you will see the difference at summers ends.

I also believe foxtails are warm season in nature so there is more to come that frost won't affect.

Isn't Foxtail supposed to be great for Pheasant/Quail habitat?

Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that will take care of Foxtail and not harm the Bluestem. Poast may be a good bet.

Isn't Foxtail supposed to be great for Pheasant/Quail habitat?

Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that will take care of Foxtail and not harm the Bluestem. Poast may be a good bet.

Yes it is good habitat but its just a bit too thick and I'd like to see if my little blue and side oats would thicken up some if the foxtail was thinned a bit. I might just let nature take her course and see what happens over the next 3 or 4 years.

Back