Killer traps

This morning I hunted a large SD WPA. I was parked at the end of a 1 mile dead end road that ran along its border. I had good luck and was back at the truck early enjoying the scenery when a truck pulled up. He rolled his window down and said he has “killer traps” set in the culverts along this road and if my dog stuck his head in one it would be all over. I tried to get more info but he was not in the mood. I did get that there were 2 locations. I thanked him and he was gone. I know about traps but never experienced one. I try to keep the dog away from culverts but man did it kill the good mood knowing we probably just walked right by these land mines.

I’m guessing they are large conibears that would trap a dog’s head and pinch off their windpipe. Probably not much time to get them out. My stomach turns thinking about it. Be careful out there, carry a rope and watch a youtube video on releasing them.
This is likely illegal, I would call SD GFP.
Depends on the set up.
A 160 can be released by hand.

BODY GRIP TRAPS (COMMONLY KNOWN AS CONIBEARS)
Body grip traps with a jaw spread greater than eight inches are permitted only as water sets. The entire bottom surface of these traps must remain completely below the water’s edge for trapping.
On all public lands and road rights- of-way statewide, no person may set or operate a body grip trap with a jaw spread greater than 6 3/4 inches (i.e. larger than a 160 conibear) when used in conjunction with any bait, lure, or scent unless:
» The trap is recessed in a plastic, wood, or metal cubby a minimum of seven inches from the front edge of the cubby to the trigger of the trap; or
» The trap is set below the water’s edge of a stream, river, or other body of water.
Note: A single overhang on the top of the cubby does not meet this recess requirement.

One additional thing to know, a serious trapper will set their traps close enough to the road so they can check the trap by sight or with binoculars...saves time to cover a larger area.

Get 50-75 yards off the road and you should be safe.

The Felco C7 cutters for up to 5/32" wire rope are $65 on Amazon. There are a couple of other brands, also for up to 5/32" wire rope, for $15 to $20. Do any of you have any experience with those? I did order the kits from the MN Trappers Site and watched the Idaho videos.
Thanks,
Tom

Went with the Felco C7 here ..worth the money IMO. Not going to help with the connibear but will get the snare.

Back