Killdeer

Bucky

I have 2 German Shorthairs that are 1 1/2 year old. We have a 2 acre yard that they get to excercise in daily. Normally they listen very well (A lot better for me than my wife though) Last week I was out of town and she took care of them and was frustrated because they ran across the highway which they never have done before. When I came home I noticed a killdeer had made a nest in my driveway and needless to say they did a great job of leading the dogs away from the nest. Any suggestions on to how to correct the dogs from chasing them? The one dog is very sensitive and anything harsher than a raised voice is detrimental.

Temporarily the problem has been solved by my 2 year old's foot!
Thanks
Bucky

Killdeer really like to tease the dogs and lead them on nest or not. I was having tweety poblems with the my pup, but like my other dogs she knows what "no bird" means and with mild collor use has responded appropriately.

Will be testing POCO at NAVHDA this weekend and if she performs like she did in the mock test Sat. she will PRIZE I easily. Planted three chuks and she found and pointed strongly. I shot them and she was retrieving with some hesitation as she gets pretty proud of her catch. She also found a quail, all in about ten minutes.
Wish me luck.
________
Ford Gaa Engine History

Last edited:
Buck,

How old is POCO? I was wondering because you indicated you were using a collar on her. All of a sudden I'm having a real problem controling my 6 month old female Brittany in the field. She knows come (both voice and whistle) but now when I have her in the field she will take off out of control and not listen. I'm planning to start using a collar on her to reign her back in but am concerned due to her age. I've trained several other dogs with a collar but never started one this young. I know to go easy. Any thoughts?

Good luck this weekend. I hope to have mine ready for the Natural Ability test at the end of August.

Zeb

George; Have you tried the check cord routine? I'd try using a good long one like 40 feet long. Now is the time while the weeds are short. If she responds on the check cord. Then I would try her without it. Every time she disobeys back on the check cord. Make the check cord her "bad girl" punishment. That sometimes works. I agree e-collars are a little early, but if you must use the very lowest setting possible and if it has a 1/20 of second nick use that also. Just a slight tap should get her attention. Brittany's are very sensitive to oral chew-outs. Have you tried that, but don't hit or pinch her ear etc.. That is a quickest way to lose them. I'll tell how I broke Tony of it. I hid from him, behind a tree mostly. I did lay down in the field once. I made him think he lost me. He was good for a few days and then one day. He pulled it again only I was at the SUV. So I drove up the road a piece, where I could still see the parking spot. I let him come back to there. No SUV, instant panic. I let him run around in the panic for a few minutes. Then I blew his whistle. Man, he came running and into the SUV never broke stride. I chewed him out good. But he was good for a very long time. Every once in while, I have to use the e-collar now. But he comes, gets chewed and he is good for a while again.--Bob

Last edited:
I agree with bob britts usualy get the point after a good verbal chewing and if you take off in your vehicle they will panic becouse they lost you . but it usually works quet well

Six months is when they seem to want to do this. The checkcord works well, tho I do not use it much.
Poco is 11 months old. I start my pups in the field ,tagging along at as little as three months. By six they are usually hunting and pointing, and less inclined to worry about where I am at, or listen to me either. A little checkcord work just to the point where they know what come means and out comes the collor. Find out the minimum point where the dog will respond. I have not had much trouble with the Puds, two real stubborn ones in 22 years. Did not breed them. We breed for cooperation and that comes thru in the NAVHDA tests.
Condition the dog to the collor for at least three days before you use it. Eventually the dog laerns what the collor is, but you can fool 'em for a while. 1 use collors while hunting for control over the furred critters that we get involved with, but the dogs are all hunt when the gun is in my hand and I rarely have to use it with an experienced dog.
Buck,

How old is POCO? I was wondering because you indicated you were using a collar on her. All of a sudden I'm having a real problem controling my 6 month old female Brittany in the field. She knows come (both voice and whistle) but now when I have her in the field she will take off out of control and not listen. I'm planning to start using a collar on her to reign her back in but am concerned due to her age. I've trained several other dogs with a collar but never started one this young. I know to go easy. Any thoughts?

Good luck this weekend. I hope to have mine ready for the Natural Ability test at the end of August.

Zeb
________
CHRYSLER PACIFICA

Last edited:
uncle buck I to also start my pups early as soon as they can tag along they go I was just agreeing with bob becouse I know that that usually works and I also like you only need the collars for safety reasons in the older dogs ( for hunting where there is a road) and when I am trialing i use vibrating collars on the older dogs as a reminder of who is the boss.

Last edited:
I start my pups in the field ,tagging along at as little as three months. By six they are usually hunting and pointing, and less inclined to worry about where I am at, or listen to me either. A little checkcord work just to the point where they know what come means and out comes the collor. Find out the minimum point where the dog will respond.

I started her in the field tagging along with my 6 year old female and myself. From the start she was listening well and responding to both the voice "Come" command and also the whistle (2 blasts means come). It's just been lately that she has started to take off and will not respond to voice or whistle. By "take off" I mean just running, she's not hunting just wants to run. Once she has done that once or twice she settles down and responds better.

I'm not a big fan of using a checkcord in the field so today I straped on a collar. I only used the Vibrate mode. Did a little playing with her and the collar in the yard. Then we went to the field. When she took off and didn't respond to voice or whistle I hit Vibrate and got her to respond positively. I'm hopeing it's going to be that easy. I will proceed slow with the collar.

George, that is great, If she to responds that is the main thing. I think all dogs when they have not been out for a even a day they like to get the kinks out. I have seen Tony take off on a dead run and make a big loop. Then comes back as if to say "there I'm ready to go hunt now". So it is something that they do on occasion. I really don't like it, for I think he is wasting energy. Especially in the early season when it is hot. Tony weakens fast in heat, he just cannot tolerate it.---Bob

George---POCO scored 110 out of 112 Prize I, so it was a pretty good day. She goofed off on the track a little before following it 100 yards + and caught it. Got a 3 instead of a four on that and the multiplier is 2. Four of seven dogs got a prize I, the other three being Wirehairs.
________
NSR150

Last edited:
Back