Kerrybrook's Wisdom of the Ancients (Pearl)

crockett

After losing my beloved yellow lab Ruby this April, it's been an awfully quiet in our house, not to mention by my knee in the woods and in the bow of my canoe during fishing season. I'm pleased to report that I got my new pup on Thursday. Pearl is a very confident and boisterous young lady - taking everything in stride and keeping me hopping! I could not be more pleased. In between periods of raising hell, during which time I'm too busy to take any pics, she does a lot of this...

Dave

Congratulations, Kerrybrook breeds some damn fine Labradors! You will have a whole lot of fun. From Nova Scotia to Ohio is a Haul!
Kerrybrook's Pete was the grand sire of my dog Dutch. Dutch has the finest coat, and is the most structurally sound dog I have had. I credit the kerrybrook line for thoughts traits.

Congratulations, Kerrybrook breeds some damn fine Labradors! You will have a whole lot of fun. From Nova Scotia to Ohio is a Haul!
Kerrybrook's Pete was the grand sire of my dog Dutch. Dutch has the finest coat, and is the most structurally sound dog I have had. I credit the kerrybrook line for thoughts traits.

Thanks. Pete was grandsire to my Ruby as well. A local breeder in Nova Scota used to have three dogs from Kerrybrook, so we were able to get Ruby locally, but he's since gone with another lineage, so I had to hit the road (well, the skies actually). Pearl was cool as a cucumber on the flight.

Last edited:
Beautiful pup. Nothing like a pup to chase the gone dog blues away.

Crockett did you have to notify the airlines when booking that you would have a live animal as a carry on ? Was there an extra charge for bringing him as carry on ?

I am going to pick up a pup later this year and had planned on checking it into Cargo but if i could carry it on the plane that would be better.

With Air Canada i needed to let them know ahead of time and pay 50$, plus bring her in an appropriate carry-on and show up an extra hour early. Security was a breeze (fun, actually, because i carried her through and everyone was way friendlier to me than usual! LOL). I got a glass of ice cubes as soon as i got on each time and let her chew/lick those for hydration. Because i could not leave Toronto airport inbetween the two flights ( no time), i put some paper towel down in the far corner of the handicapped bathroom stall and let her pee on that, then threw it away, cleaned up, and we were good to go again. I would highly recommend going this route if you can. Sure, you can ship a pup cargo - people do it every day, but with all the expense and effort that's going to go into a gundog, it's nice to make sure that they get a low stress start. I could literally see her bonding with me on our first day together on this grand adventure!

There was some paperwork for entering the country, but i'm guessing you're staying within the US so i won't bore you with all that unless you need the info.

Crockett.

Thanks for the reply i will be flying within the US so that won't be an issue. I flew with my 8 month old pup last year but he was to big for carry on so i checked him in as luggage and everything went fine (united airlines). But you are right i would feel much better bringing my new pup as carry on she will be around 10 weeks old.

From your picks I can see Pearl has very nice dark pigmentation, and nice tight eyelids! She will be a looker

Our first canoe ride this morning...
First, I tossed a handful of kibble in the canoe. True to the lab stomach, Pearl scrambled around gobbling it up, and didn't care about rocking the boat!

So we headed out for a nice paddle, and she settled right into it! It felt so good to be out in the canoe with a dog aboard once again. I've barely been on the water this season after losing Ruby. The first of many adventures!

Pearl's first trip to the ocean yesterday. We went down to Lunenburg and enjoyed a nice evening walk on the beach.

A quick taste of salt - yuk!

And then it was time to burn off some puppy energy!

It's been a slow start to the bird season here in Nova Scotia. I was away on a moose hunt for a week, and it's been wet and warm. Cooler today so Pearl and I went out before work. In 45 minutes she flushed six pheasants, and I was able to pluck her first limit out of the bunch. She did great! One was a lively cripple that she has to chase down and get hold of - what a show! Next one ended up being a water retrieve - her first! She couldn't see the fall from where she was, so she marked the sound and went for it. I could not be more pleased to be back to pheasant hunting with my own dog. I am whole once again.

Dang them Kerrybrooke dogs are lookers! Mine dog doesn't look quite that good but he did get his Master Hunter title this summer

Last edited:
Back