KDWP Wild caught baitfish shall only be used on the body of water where taken.

BrownDogsCan2

New for 2012 if you want to fish with live bait in Kansas, open up your wallets, it looks like you are going to have to pay for it. BLEEP Bleep Bleep Bleepida Bleep. Sorry just needed to vent.:mad:

New for 2012 if you want to fish with live bait in Kansas, open up your wallets, it looks like you are going to have to pay for it. BLEEP Bleep Bleep Bleepida Bleep. Sorry just needed to vent.:mad:

I bet that will soon be the case in many states.

Robing Peter to pay Paul.
Kansas has a white perch and zebra mussel problem, Asian Carp on the horizon. I'm afraid no amount of prevention is going to curtail the spread across public waters, KDWP must appear to be making an effort to contain the invasion. The sad thing is they are punishing the group of sportsmen who are actually diligent in their efforts to contain the problem.

In MN we aren't to far away from a ban on live bait fish. Now you can still use legal bait fish but by law you have to drain the livewell at the access and not have any live fish in your possession.

Is it legal to catch "shad" in the lakes and and use them as bait for say channel cat? Will that apply here?

It's not like you will be transporting live fish from somewhere else...but I can see where enforcement may be tough too.

You can legally use live bait from the water you caught it from.
Some waters it is pita to catch shad from, I believe Wilson is one of them. It is going to affect the livelyhood of those who fish that lake for a living. The only fisherman who KDWP will commit the resources to enforce the changes on are those who profit. Zebra mussels will still spread through recreational boating. My two cents, put in a carwash and a change mashine, use the COIN for public education.

Not sticking up for the KDWP at all but I am just wondering. Do they worry about invasive species such as those Asian Carp? Or are those already in the Kansas border?

I agree that Zebra Muscles are going to invade. The only way to stop them is education...but in reality it takes only one moron.

Their is a reservoir up here that had those muscles and they drained it. Then let a couple of hard winters freeze the creek...they "think" they have them killed. I strongly doubt it.

White perch were the first to invade, followed by zebra mussels, now silver carp have worked their way out of the Missouri and into the Kansas and its tributaries. White perch came via a striper stocking. They don't resemble shad, sunfish or bullheads. As for the silver carp I would be more concerned with them being spread through commercial sales of bait carp, goldfish etc.

I wish I could locate a couple copies of previous years, I was thinking this was already a "law". They would have a really hard time proving that you DID NOT catch the perch or whatever you are using for bait in that body of water, last time I checked most of the species that are around here are already introduced to major water systems, so what is to say you didn't catch them just around the corner and were keeping them in the bait cage there where you are camping?

I wish I could locate a couple copies of previous years, I was thinking this was already a "law". They would have a really hard time proving that you DID NOT catch the perch or whatever you are using for bait in that body of water, last time I checked most of the species that are around here are already introduced to major water systems, so what is to say you didn't catch them just around the corner and were keeping them in the bait cage there where you are camping?

The only reason I looked at the regulations is I wanted to make one of these. The current guidelines are so strict you would have to put hook marks in every lip.:D

This is true.

Also new is any fish taken from a body of water must be dead before transport. So now you have to buy a bag of ice and bring a cooler with you as well.

If your bringing bait fish in I would guess you would need a receipt from where you bought them and I am guessing that bait shops will need to be inspected by the state as well. If you caught the bait fish from the lake you are fishing you can't take them with you alive.

So much for my perch pond I have out back for getting limb line bait! Guess I will start catching them and throwing them on the bank for coons to eat.

We will all complain at first until we get used to the idea I suppose.

Back