KDWP - Effects of Hunting

The following was included with the small game survey I just finished up. They said only one in ten participate in the survey and thought I'd share.

Effects of Hunting

Statement of the Effects of Hunting on Pheasant Populations
Kansas Upland Game Program
Kansas Dept. Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism

Extreme drought in 2011 and 2012 has impacted most of Kansas pheasant range where populations have traditionally been good to exceptional. Cover is reduced, which results in lower nest success and chick survival. The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism (KDWPT) is extremely concerned about the impact of drought on wildlife, and specifically pheasants. So why would KDWPT leave pheasant season open during these conditions?

There are specific biological principles that show that harvesting male pheasants has no impact on future populations. This is the reason KDWPT biologists will not be recommending any changes to the pheasant season during this population decline. These principles are as follows:

• Female pheasants are by far the most important factor in terms of population growth and they cannot legally be harvested
• Harvesting males has little potential to impact population change because a single rooster can fertilize up to 10 or more hens in the spring
• The only way pheasant harvest (male only) could impact a pheasant population is to harvest more than 90% of the roosters in the population (resulting in not enough males to fertilize all hens in the spring)
• Research has shown that it is impossible to harvest more than about 75% of the rooster population, the intense hunting pressure needed for such high harvest rates results in “unharvestable” roosters that cannot be approached within gun range
• Even with areas of extremely high rooster harvest, males from less harvested areas simply fill in the gaps the following spring
• In years of population decline, hunter effort (i.e., hunting pressure) across the landscape declines
• If food or cover resources are limiting during the winter (e.g., extreme winter weather events), having fewer roosters in the population would leave more resources for hens. This could result in higher survival an better body-condition for remaining hens heading into the breeding season, which would increase hen reproductive potential and far offset any loss of male carry-over due to hunter harvest

To demonstrate, consider a fall population of 200 pheasants with a 1:1 sex ratio (100 roosters, 100 hens). For this population to be negatively impacted by harvest over 90 roosters would need to be harvested (1 rooster can breed 10 or more hens) so that there would not be enough roosters to cover all the hens the next spring. This level of harvest is unattainable. Even if a high percentage of roosters were eliminated males from adjacent areas that received less harvest would simply fill in the gaps. It is also possible that if winter food and cover resources were limited for this population removing more roosters would leave more resources for the remaining 100 hens to increase breeding potential the next spring.

As biologists and concerned sportsmen we can do nothing about the weather. We can provide the best habitat possible, which is usually the limiting factor (besides weather) for pheasant reproduction. The fact is that pheasant populations will continually cycle according to weather patterns and available habitat. We just happen to currently be in the downward part of this cycle. If good habitat remains, populations will come back when weather patterns are favorable. In Kansas, pheasant populations have historically gone from all-time lows to all-time highs in as little as 3 years, thus demonstrating the amazing ability pheasants have to rebound given good weather and habitat conditions
We thank you for your interest and concern for Kansas’ wildlife resources. We share this same passion!

I certainly hope they are correct. They probably are correct, at least as it concerns "normal" conditions. I don't think these are normal conditions. We didn't see a total of 10 hens on our entire opening weekend trip.

Sure they'll move and fill in vacant areas, but what if the vacant area is 10 counties? 20? 30? How long will it take for huntable populations in the northwest to "fill in" 300 miles to areas where populations are so low as to be unhuntable? In those areas aren't roosters just as valuable as hens?

I'm pinning my hopes on the "cockroach" theory: for every 1 you see there are many, many more that you don't.

math

think the math is kinda fuzzy, if you were to eliminate 90% of 100 males still leaves about a 10 to 1 ration for breeding, actually i think a horny rooster is good for over 20 ladies, kinda like me. the converse of this is that too many roosters tend to fight among themselves and forget the ladies. another reason to shoot some of them. believe pheasants forever have stated that at least in the last many many years if the money that had been spent releasing birds had been used for habit, we would be way ahead of where we are now

cheers

Fact is, There are always more pheasants in an area then what a hunter is going to see.
You are doing the overall pheasant population good if You take out some of the roosters. Like about 3/4th.
Wintering roosters are tuff on hens. Bigger stronger, more aggressive and will even EAT weaker birds when the going is tough.
NO reason to change the season and limits on rooster pheasants.
Ranger Danger has a good post.:thumbsup:

I took the survey. My comment was this:

"The WIHA lands enrolled have become a joke and the quality has steadily declined (the quality decline is not just due to drought). Brownback needs to keep his nose out of the KDWP and shove it back up his ass where it belongs. We got rid of Hayden only to get this bozo meddling with things."

Now Im waiting for Brownbacks secret police to show up at my doorstep.

I took the survey. My comment was this:

"The WIHA lands enrolled have become a joke and the quality has steadily declined (the quality decline is not just due to drought). Brownback needs to keep his nose out of the KDWP and shove it back up his ass where it belongs. We got rid of Hayden only to get this bozo meddling with things."

Now Im waiting for Brownbacks secret police to show up at my doorstep.

I couldn't agree with you more on that! I've driven by countless WIHA areas that all they were was a disced under soybean field with not a stick of grass anywhere in it! And this isn't in Prairie Chicken country or waterfowl hunting areas. Driven by as many WIHAs in the past that cattle had grazed down to only nubs of grass (and this was pre-drought).

They really need to watch what they lease from these farmers
and the areas they don't get to lease perhaps they could put that money into better habitat on the areas they own and/or lease already.

Don't get me wrong I'm thankful for the WIHA but if they are just leasing worthless ground to add to the number of acres of public access the state has for stats to attract OOS hunters then don't do it on my dime.

poor land

better like it as it is the best we have. i suppose, not trying to get much going here but if the farmers didn't have their subsidy program, one is that some of them would have to work harder, learn to be more efficient and utilize their land better, that would force them back into taking some of it out of production and back into grass, would save the prairies also along with the land that they are draining at an alarming rate, cost of the crops may go up but then, being selfish, that would spread the cost around and the cost of conservation would be borne by all and not just the hunters.

cheers

better like it as it is the best we have. i suppose, not trying to get much going here but if the farmers didn't have their subsidy program, one is that some of them would have to work harder, learn to be more efficient and utilize their land better, that would force them back into taking some of it out of production and back into grass, would save the prairies also along with the land that they are draining at an alarming rate, cost of the crops may go up but then, being selfish, that would spread the cost around and the cost of conservation would be borne by all and not just the hunters.

cheers
+1:cheers:

I haven't been to Kansas in a couple of years, but we went in 1997, 2001-2009. May have been my imagination, but I felt the WIHA quality diminished a great deal especially during those last couple of years we went.
Seemed like it was almost as common to see a section that was ankle deep as one that was waist deep. Again, this was my view. Still a great program for hunters as we don't have anything like it here.

I quail hunt a lot here in OK. I never thought I'd say this, but I have this terrible feeling that it's almost over for me. I hunt a ranch here in Osage County, OK. I killed 100 birds/year for several years leading up to this drought. Have not shot a single bird in two seasons now. I am down to one dog and it's hard to get very excited about future prospects.

A lot of doom and gloom across the plains. God, it's bad out there.

our walk in hunting is really a blessing for us. I think the quail hunting will eventually get somewhat better as more get educated on habitat requirments. Really talking about the wildlife and parks people getting more educated on what needs to happen and how to make it happen. They are waaay more creative and proactive in KS then they used to be I feel.

Back