Kansas

New to the forum.. Thinking of driving up to KS from NM. Had good luck in ND in November but don't have the time to make that drive again. Figured I would head to KS got a young Wirehair that needs some exposure. Tried posting a pic earlier in the photo contest... Yep still a rookie at this. Thanks!

I am not familiar with that area. But in general the bird numbers are better than last year, but not fantastic.

it will be damn tough hunting......birds will be few and probably won't hold this late in the season, hen points will be your highlights....

I hunt around Meade every year. I even hunted there last year when it looked like the Dirty Thirties. There is not much WIHA around Meade this year compared to years previous. You might have better luck around Walsh CO. Colorado it is closer for you and the licenses are less expensive. Definantly more ground to hunt. If you just want to hunt KS try the Elkhart area. They picked up some significant moisture along the grasslands stretch and have more WIHA than Meade.
I will go back to Meade but I'm giving it another year or two.

PS I have three Wirehairs also, they are definantly my breed of choice.

Thanks for the info guys. Hunted around Hugoton opening weekend. My six year old Wirehair pointed three roosters first half day then it just dried up. ND was awesome. I'll take a look at Elkhart, Walsh Co and Colorado. Figured I'd try KS again because already had the license. Appreciate the feedback.

There's not much walkin in Meade co. However there is a lot of great looking ground in that area. There will be some birds you'll just need to knock on some doors and gain permission to hunt. Shouldn't be a problem getting permission this time of year.

Thanks dogman, think I'll stick with original plan of Meade. Looks good on satellite map. Spend some time knocking and networking. Rehabbing my 6 year old wirehair 9 pins and plate in her leg 3 surgeries in the last year. Also my 4.5 month old wirehair pup. Be good to spend some time alone with the dogs. Been a long year working on the road. Been a great year though, as I mentioned ND was awesome plus got a nice 6x6 elk in Oct muzzleloader hunt in NM. Merry Christmas everyone and happy hunting! Giddy up!

Will do Skeet MC, headed up there Sunday Morning. Plan is to hunt thru Tuesday, I'll stay for Wednesday morning if I'm having any luck. Then power drive home for Christmas Eve.

Ended up with two roosters. Got quite a few hen points. Birds were pretty scarce as predicted. They were bunched up yesterday in the wind but when one flew they all flew. Didn't get a point on my pup but she went in the thistles and tumble weeds and got the first rooster. Had a good time and was good to be out with the dogs.

Cool!!! I'm glad you got a few. Me and the girls (Melba, Millie and Bonnie) are headed for the land of enchantment on the 26th. I'm going to see if can run down some Blues over by Roswell

Back