Kansas Ringneck Hunter

KansasGsp

Hello,
I'm new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself. I live South of Wichita, Ks and love to hunt. I hunt with 3 guys I teach/coach with and we hunt a lot of Walk-In land. My father in-law lives in SouthWest Kansas and farms around 4,000 acres. We usually get out there 4 to 5 times a year to hunt. I've kept a journal for the last 5 years on land hunted, birds seen and birds harvested. I've got two shorthairs that live for hunting. I got into pheasant hunting 10 years ago and haven't missed a weekend in the last 6 years. Just wanted to say hello. Thanks, KansasGsp

Welcome to the site! Great things come from a Journal. Keep it up!:thumbsup:

:welcome: Plenty of Kansas guys on the forum boards Prairie Drifter. The more and more Kansas guys appearing on the board, I'm beginning to think I need to get my ass down there to check out what's going on there.

Hello,
I'm new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself. I live South of Wichita, Ks and love to hunt. I hunt with 3 guys I teach/coach with and we hunt a lot of Walk-In land. My father in-law lives in SouthWest Kansas and farms around 4,000 acres. We usually get out there 4 to 5 times a year to hunt. I've kept a journal for the last 5 years on land hunted, birds seen and birds harvested. I've got two shorthairs that live for hunting. I got into pheasant hunting 10 years ago and haven't missed a weekend in the last 6 years. Just wanted to say hello. Thanks, KansasGsp

I too, have been keeping a journal for 7 years. It's a great idea.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 2008 season.

Welcome,

Lefty

Greetings...I read your information and had to ask if you saw many quail this year? Seems some of the guys I have talked to have not had much luck....I was wondering how it went for you??? Thanks...a longtime quail hunter...Doug

Greetings...I read your information and had to ask if you saw many quail this year? Seems some of the guys I have talked to have not had much luck....I was wondering how it went for you??? Thanks...a longtime quail hunter...Doug

Doug,

I've see some quail all around the state this year. Seeing them in what I consider to be huntable populations is a different story. Check out the KS forum for a thread titled "5 coveys". Britchaser mentioned seeing 4 coveys on a hunt in NW KS this year in the pheasant forum. He might be able to help. I did see 2 real nice covey in Pawnee county this year, but I wouldn't say it is a good year for quail in that area!

Welcome to the site KansasGSP! I love hunting behind a good shorthair. I've had the pleasure of doing so twice this year and I must say both dogs were great to hunt with. In fact, both owners are members of this forum also:cheers:

I didn't see many quail early on, but have been seeing some as of late. We usually move 2 coveys a day when we're out pheasant hunting. I haven't shot many quail this year or any other year. Got into 2 nice coveys today West of Pratt.

Welcome to the site KansasGSP! I love hunting behind a good shorthair. I've had the pleasure of doing so twice this year and I must say both dogs were great to hunt with. In fact, both owners are members of this forum also:cheers:

I've got an 8 year old that can flat out find the birds. He has the best nose of any dog I've ever seen. He's a little hard headed at times, but his bird finding ability makes up for it. We've had 2 litters from him and I've got a 7 month old pup from him right now. He's showing signs like he may have gotten his daddy's nose. How's the bird hunting going for you this year?

Good Sir! This year has been good to me though I haven't made it out as much as usual. I made a report in the KS forum for my better hunts this year. The most productive pheasant hunt took place in Pawnee county right after the milo was cut. The thread is titled "relieved". I've had one good quail hunt this year and that thread is titled "5 coveys". Are you planning to hunt this weekend (24th) and if so, where? I'm thinking of getting a couple guys from the forum together to head back out to Pawnee county. There were still plenty of roosters left there after Christmas.

Welcome KansasGSP,
I too have keep up a journal with my last dog, Plan on doing it with my new dawg too:D
Again welcome:cheers:

Good Sir! This year has been good to me though I haven't made it out as much as usual. I made a report in the KS forum for my better hunts this year. The most productive pheasant hunt took place in Pawnee county right after the milo was cut. The thread is titled "relieved". I've had one good quail hunt this year and that thread is titled "5 coveys". Are you planning to hunt this weekend (24th) and if so, where? I'm thinking of getting a couple guys from the forum together to head back out to Pawnee county. There were still plenty of roosters left there after Christmas.

I'm planning on heading out both days this weekend. Not sure where on Saturday, I'd be interested in heading out to Pawnee just let me know if you get the hunt together. A buddy and I had a good hunt in Russell County last Friday. Talked to a buddy who got into a bunch of quail on some public land in Eastern Kansas so I'm thinking of heading that way Sunday. Thanks, Bryan

Back