Kansas Questions?

mcclinj

I'll be heading down to KS from PA over Thanksgiving and was wondering about dog requirements....does KS require any type of health certificate from a veterinarian as some of the other states do?

Also, congrats to everyone who has managed to find roosters this week so far, and I understand that the pheasants are a western Kansas bird, but can anyone report on the bird situation (Pheasants, quail, chickens) in the eastern half of the state. I'll be visiting family in Joplin, MO and might be limited in how far west I can head although I'd like to make 4-5 hrs at least once. I'll have my year old GSP with me, and would like to hunt her on some wild birds of some sort.

Thanks,

-John

I don't want to come across as a downer, but I live 30 miles north of Joplin.

When I go bird hunting, I drive 5 hours west. I have access to quite a bit of ground 90 miles west of Joplin, and don't even bother hunting it except for deer or coyotes. 15 years ago, yeah, we had quail. Now, there are a few, but it is very very few.

Oh yeah, to my knowledge, no papers required, but to be honest, I 've never read the regs looking for that either. Never heard of it though.

Kansas questions

I am out of state so have worried about this myself. I did a little research and
decided that with the different state and federal laws they could probably find
something wrong if they want to bug you.

As a result I have starting carrying my shot records whenever I go anywhere. I do not have a written report from a vet about his opinion. A report would even make it better. It is too easy not to have them with you. As a practical matter I have never been asked nor have I heard directly from anyone that has been.

It would be too bad to get a ticket or have your dog quarantined for a violation.

I always have papers from the vet covering all the states I plan to hunt in. Every thing is listed on one page per dog. I have never had to show them to any type of law officer in 22 years. A dog trainer friend had to years ago & had to hold their trip up overnite until papers could be faxed to him.

One other advantage is having the papers available in case of having to board the dog for any reason or having an injury & needing to leave with the vet for a time. Simple to get & carry in the vehicle with you.

Are these just the standard shot records you get upon "checking out" from the vet's office, or are there other forms to get?

-John

Kansas Questions

I just carry my paper showing date and type of vaccination from the vet. When I was researching I ran across something calling for a letter from the vet stating that he thought the dog was free of this, that blah blah. There are some real requirements transporting animals across state lines and I didn't want to go without showing an attempt to fulfill the requirements. The best way would be to have your vet give you a letter stating the dog was vaccinated for such and such and he feels the dog is contagion free. If you made the ranger mad for some reason they could probably make it tough on you without something. Most states even residents have to have proof of some vaccinations, especially rabies.

As a standard practice I get a Health Certificate from my vet prior to traveling out of state with Murry. My vet charges me $10 for it. I have never needed it, but I am comfortable that I have it should I ever need it.

I have never heard of a Kansas wildlife officer inquiring about a hunter's dogs. I just did a search of "dog" and "canine" on the KDWPT website and came up with nothing remotely related to hunting dog regulations. Never heard of them, but of course regs applicable to all dogs such as the requirement of rabies vaccinations apply to hunting dogs too whether resident or non-resident.

From Joplin you should head as far north and west as your 5 hour time limit -- about 300 miles -- will allow. Milford Reservoir might be a good choice.

Last edited:
I get a shot record sheet and have the vet sign it and always carry them with me. Have hunted in several states over 25 years and have never been checked but there is always the first time. Have been told that they can make you get all the shots at a higher than normal price if you have no proof of shots but dont know that for sure.

Kansas Questions

If you are a person who believes in looking out for all possibilities, no matter how remote, then you will get the health certificate and move on. Things happen such as your dog biting someone, getting bitten by a skunk, etc that may necessitate you needing your papers to save you some trouble. This is the same reasoning that causes us to carry a spare tire, extra gun, a little extra cash and all the other things. Normally, you don't need it. But, when you do why not have it along. And if you happen to get on the wrong side of a warden it could be a problem. Normally, the KWPD is not the one who regulates your dogs health papers, but only if you can use one to hunt, time, place, etc. But a ranger has power as an officer of the law to enforce other laws. And the federal, state, and local authorities make the laws and regulations that control the health status of animals. So, M. R. has the 100% correct answer. Get a certificate, put it in the truck, and go hunting. Next question.

Back