Kansas Quail

I travel to Western Kansas at least once every season to hunt Phez and Quail but have never ventured too far East of Hayes to hunt. I have heard that the Quail hunting gets better a little further East.

Is it worth the extra driving (Coming From the West) to Quail hunt on WIHA land East and North of Hayes?

This is my first post on this site and just wanted to comment that I really like spirit and tone here. Most of the posts I have read seem friendly and helpfull unlike some other sites. I was a contributor at Pheasant Country before it shut down. Keep up the positive tone!

The patented answer is: it depends. Every year is a bit different. The recent flooding in the east has really hurt the quail and turkey there. If you look too far east, the quail are limited anyway. There is a trade off as well. The further east you go, the harder it is to get on private land and the less WIHA there is. I'm afraid I can't be more help than that. Some years the answer would be definately, and others it would be no.

I'm from SE KS and can tell you that 20 yrs ago, quail was everywhere. Not so much now, although the habitat is getting as such where it seems every spring is like a flood and kdwp attributes declines to that or the icy winters. We'll see this year...like every year I have faith that those little buggers are coveyed up waitin' for me to stumble on em.

This past year I saw more quail than I did roosters. But then again I have been seeing alot more quail overall in the past 3 years. Hopefully they make a come back.:thumbsup:

quail

I agree with you kio there are quail just south of me on public ground doesnt mean i get into them every time but i know they are there. Somedays i will get a couple of coveys but next week nothing, i tell you another thing weather makes a big difference if its cold look where the food is!

I agree with you kio there are quail just south of me on public ground doesnt mean i get into them every time but i know they are there. Somedays i will get a couple of coveys but next week nothing, i tell you another thing weather makes a big difference if its cold look where the food is!
We had a fund raising BBQ at Hillsdale Lake this past Saturday and we heard quail constantly talking. We BBQ'ed at Shelter #2 and they were in the grass right south of it just whistling up a storm, man if got the blood boiling...:D

kansas quail

Shhhh kiotheres no quail there.

Shhh kio theres no quail there. lol i like hunting there when i get rained out from work or have to stay at home on weekends. Do you like it there?

i

I know just playing, come on nov 1. You didnt answer do you like hunting at hillsdale ?Also i read that you fish a little i am a big time bass tournament fisherman do you fish those tourneys at hilldale during the week any?

I know just playing, come on nov 1. You didnt answer do you like hunting at hillsdale ?Also i read that you fish a little i am a big time bass tournament fisherman do you fish those tourneys at hilldale during the week any?
I personally don't hunt around Hillsdale, to many idiots in my opinion. I belong to a new bass club, the Miami County Bass Club, based out of Paola. If you want some info I'd be more than happy to get it to you. Send me a PM if interested. I don't fish any tourneys out of Hillsdale, my tourney partner works to late to be able to make it through the week.

Ya i have fished against him i know of the name. thx kio but i am trying to cut back man that fishing will put you in the poor house!

Ya i have fished against him i know of the name. thx kio but i am trying to cut back man that fishing will put you in the poor house!
Yes it can but I figure that I can't die with it so I might as well spend some of it now. Besides our entry fees are small and our tourneys are just 1 day events, except for the club championship, it's 2 days. Cheaper that a weekend of bird hunting by far...:D

get broke

ok twist my arm tell me your tourney days what lakes and dates do you have meetings to? How many in your club how many boaters and non boaters hopefully your needing boaters. talk to you soon.

Back