Kansas Forecast Is Available

Southeast

Although quail numbers in southeast kansas are at record lows I still have great success in this region year after year because of the lack of hunters. I always have a weekend where I can only hunt for a couple of hours so I go somewhere close to home which is usually southeast kansas and I have never seen any other hunters. I normally have the same success rates as i do out west. its great! you just have to hunt the most promising areas and i have my hot spots from previous years marked. find the public land with beans and corn on it and you will find a covey nearly every field and big coveys at that. these birds hold tight and are big adult birds because no one hunts southeast kansas anymore (in my opinion). So my advice is to give southeast kansas a try just once this upcoming season and you'll be surprised!

Best regards:cheers:

I forgot to mention that I like a break from western kansas pheasant hunting so i go southeast for strickly quail because I enjoy the dog work alittle better on those tight sitting coveys! take care

Last edited:
south east

I live in olthe cowboy how far south east would you say? Are you hunting walk in or public quail are my fav to hunt anyway.

Pointer- although public land is scarce I try and ask permission for private land around bigger pockets of public land so your not driving to much to find good land. A lot of farmers don't mind you hunting their land if you tell them youre just hunting quail. Everyone has deer hunters come deer season but no one ask these farmers to qauil hunt and I have had better luck asking after deer season is over because then they really don't mind. I have had good luck in Franklin, Anderson, Coffey, Allen, and Bourban counties for quail. There is a ton of bean fields and hedge rows that have very good thick cover that are perfect for quail. I normally hunt these areas a couple times a year and like I said before no other hunters are seen especially later in the season. the northern parts of the southeast region is a sleeper because everyone has given up on that part of the state (again just my opinion). Most out of staters want a combo hunt so the only people who hunt SE KS are locals and a few people from KC because its close.

However some counties to the extreme far SE are not good for quail anymore. In the late 90's i remember getting our limits in Montgomery, and Labette counties on private land and public lands. in the last 5 years or so we have only moved around 6-7 coveys. birds are very scarce down there and a lot of the farmers don't want you hunting them because they want to save the few that are left which I respect. Stick wiht the northern counties of the SE regions and you'll find good numbers of birds for the most part.

I want to post pictures of me hunting in SE kansas but don't know how to post pictures. Any help on how to post pics?

Last edited:
I want to post pictures of me hunting in SE kansas but don't know how to post pictures. Any help on how to post pics?

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Anyone hunted the Melvern WA?
Called the CO this week and he allowed that the cover is very thick and hunting will be tough...

I have friends w/ land in Anderson & Allen counties...
Made annual trips there from 97 thru 2006.
However have not hunted there in several years....

We are planning our trip now, will most likely work the area for 2-3 days and then move north toward the Nebraska line.

Guys...Please send me a pm and I will be glad to share my contacts w/ you.

Regards,

BH68

Back