Just returned…hunted 12/12-12/16

benelli-banger

warm, maybe too warm…very dry except for 12/16…birds bunched, but not like when it’s truly winter. Had a group of 5, we did pretty well…highlight of the week was the dog work, as usual! IC, 12 gauge #5 lead at 1200 fps did the trick…

Hard to complain about this weather but... Took over three hours yesterday for the son and I to get our birds but a great feeling when we did. Dogs were definitely the heroes of the day. Public land roosters are no guarantee this time of year and the hunting pressure in my area is unreal for this time year. We went out this morning again and were done in twenty minutes. Last weekend I hunted four hours on Sunday and came home with none. I truly love this time of year!

warm, maybe too warm…very dry except for 12/16…birds bunched, but not like when it’s truly winter. Had a group of 5, we did pretty well…highlight of the week was the dog work, as usual! IC, 12 gauge #5 lead at 1200 fps did the trick…
Just got to our destination this evening, wind was blowing pretty good but the week ahead looks pretty decent, hi's in low 40's and winds 10-15 most of the week, not moisture predicted. Hope the birds cooperate for us, my son brought a buddy who has not hunted pheasants before so this trip is all about them.

You can keep these highs in the 40’s. I cant tell you the last time Ive hunted in show in SD. Sick of it. Late Dec and Jan are supposed to be cold w snow on the ground. Back after it today. Will head further W today from where we’ve been the past 2 days

Sure feels weird not having every crevice full of cattail dust... chase em down in the grass.. east river, south of north dakota

No kidding. Although I wish we had fresh snow, conditions where I hunted Saturday/Sunday were great! Not cold. Not dry & dusty. Damp but not wet. Great for stealth & scenting. Good breeze. It was a pleasant change.

I went last Thursday here in MN and it was hot. Too hot. Air temp was about 47 degrees and after 3 spots both the dog and I were spent of energy. Very dusty and dry here too. Luckily we got over an inch of rain Fri/Sat so I am hoping that helps with the dryness for the last 2 weeks of our season.

Won't be any snow on the ground here through the end of the season. Its supposed to be nearly 50 degrees on Christmas day which is record setting temps. Definitely feels weird without any snow on the ground in December, especially after last season.

if you don't mind the reveal, what continent were you on? :rolleyes:

I didnt do a big writeup on the annual trip me and some family take out there, we did about as good as we usually do, but could have done much better with some on par shooting, and better scenting conditions. The dogs did good, but I could tell they were working hard to find the birds. Dry as a popcorn fart was what my grandpa used to say.... That about sums it up.

We ended with 31 birds for 6 guys. Easily should have been in the 50-60 range.

Back