Just moved from VA to MN (Minneapolis)

JROliver88

Hey Everybody,

I just moved up to Minneapolis from Virginia for dental school. I am an avid hunter dove, duck, goose hunter back home. We dont have the privilege of hunting quail or pheasant simply bec/ they hardly exist in the state anymore!! But I cant wait to!

As I am not from Minnesota, I am in the process of trying to find some hunting buddies and land (public and private). I have my 3 year old black lab (Chattam) with me that I trained and want to keep his skills up.

Any advice or inside information about the area would be wonderful. I am a country boy and not used to being stuck in the city. So both the dog and I are itching to get out for the opening of dove season (which I cannot believe isn't more popular up here. Its a great warm up for waterfowl season!!)

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have an effective and great looking hunting partner.

Hey Everybody,

I just moved up to Minneapolis from Virginia for dental school. I am an avid hunter dove, duck, goose hunter back home. We dont have the privilege of hunting quail or pheasant simply bec/ they hardly exist in the state anymore!! But I cant wait to!

As I am not from Minnesota, I am in the process of trying to find some hunting buddies and land (public and private). I have my 3 year old black lab (Chattam) with me that I trained and want to keep his skills up.

Any advice or inside information about the area would be wonderful. I am a country boy and not used to being stuck in the city. So both the dog and I are itching to get out for the opening of dove season (which I cannot believe isn't more popular up here. Its a great warm up for waterfowl season!!)

Welcome to Minnesota ! :cheers:

Dove hunting hasn't really caught on here in Minnesota for a couple reasons as I see it. It wasn't until 2003 that we could even hunt them, so the rich tradition of dove hunting as it is in the south has never really existed.

Secondly, very few public hunting areas are managed with dove hunting in mind. Most of your best opportunities will be on private land. There are strict trespassing laws in place in Minnesota and many times the chance of gaining access to private land in September will be slim (unless you have family or friends who own land) due to the many crops in the fields and farmers reluctance to let people in them before they're harvested. Not impossible to do so, but can be difficult. So therein lies the problem with dove hunting in Minnesota.

Being an avid waterfowler however, you should feel right at home as we have a plethora of public land managed specifically for that.

Again welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys, the advice, and the compliment on my dog. He could use some more experience under his belt, but he is much better than most other labs I've seen back home!! (or maybe I'm just biased haha)

already sent you a PM but welcome again & he is a handsome dog...

he will have some stiff competition up here lol theres lots of good hunting & good hunting dogs in MN im sure u will enjoy the your time in the state...

sunday early goose & dove season opens i will be out im sure need to get my young dog out in the fields again!!! she never retrieved a canada goose yet we will see how that goes im not worried she loves to retrieve all things big & small

have a happy safe hunting season in MN & i will try & get out with ya once or twice if we can work it out

Back