Just clipped my dogs for the first time...

sloth5202

I was wondering if any of you have some good tips for giving your dog a fur cut. I have two springers and decided it was time for me to start doing this job myself. Besides being expensive to have two dogs trimmed twice a year it seems that no matter where I take them they never get cut just the way I want them so I decided to just invest in a good clipper and do it myself.

I trimmed them about the same length all over and it turned out ok. It was the most even cut and there were a few places I really didn't shave that well mostly because the younger dog really doesn't like me anywhere near his hind side... I don't blame him to be honest.

So what I'm looking for is some advice to make the process easier next time around. Any advice is helpful.

sloth first off all you can do is let the dog relax and make it a positive thing for them if they start moving around or are reall ansy about a certain spot stop let them take a breakafter they runn for a couple minutes then proceede

As you do this more the dogs will get use to it and you will also improve your ability to use the trimmer. It helps if you have a real good trimmer. The vibrate models for around $30 just don't cut it. Spend $100 or more and get a good quality trimmer. Think of the money you are saving by doing it yourself. It will more than pay for a quality trimmer.

Yeah I bought a cheap clipper a while ago and it was terrible on my older dog. He has a really think coat but the one I bought yesterday cost me about $100 and it worked like a dream. It costs me about $75 to get each dog trimmed so it paid for itself yesterday.

I did have my fiance help me clip the younger dog because he was a little nervous about the whole process. He was much calmer when I was holding him and petting him so that will probably be my strategy until he learns its not so bad.

Dogs have their places they don't want trimmed. With Tony it is his tail, I need 2 people to get that little tail trimmed. That reminds me he is about due for his hunting trim to keep the seeds and burrs out of his coat...........Bob

i can only cut mine once a year the winters here can be brutal so they need there hair i usually shave them in may and by november its all grown back

Back