Just back from South Dakota

Just came back from my annual trip to South Dakota. Spent five days hunting there. We were based out of Mitchell but tried to stay out away from there. Went up around Aberdeen one day.

First two days were pretty good. Most birds were found either in the first or last hour of hunting. Numbers seemed really good.

Day three and things slowed way down. We saw birds and got a few shots off but it was lean. Not sure if the heat played any role as this seemed to be the hottest day of the week.

Day 4 it rained. Not much, but the one rain cloud we saw seemed to follow us wherever we went. Again we got a few shots off but not as many as the first two days. One cool thing we walked into an area just before the golden hour and say a few pheasants flying in from the fields. We hunted them but only found hens. As we walked back to the truck we flushed about 30 birds between us and the truck. The must have flown in after we walked by. I thought I knocked a rooster down but after 45 minutes of searching we could not find him and we were out of daylight.

Day 5 we went up towards Aberdeen and hunted around. A lot of roads that just ended or were closed. Also some CREP that was on the map and still posted, but were plowed. Unfortunately we ran into hunters that were more than willing to come into the field we were hunting and try to act as blockers without invitation. Ran into more hunters willing to try and join in or pressure us up north in one day than I ever have down south. I am happy there were more hunters, I tend to think upland hunting is dying out and any sign there is interest is only good for all of us. And I know you can't call dibs on public land, but if you see me with my dog and you decide to start hunting 50 yard away it is annoying. Some fields are big and if you don't see us that's fine but a little common courtesy is nice.

Overall I think birds were down and hunters seemed to be up. Although we had to work for it I think we could have gotten our limit or close to it most days, but our shooting was not what it should have been. Dog work was good, one dog really grew there and is on a promising path. The heat slowed the dogs and I had never hunted pheasants in the rain so I wasn't sure what to do, just kinda guessed.

The one thing that almost ruined the trip were gopher holes. They were everywhere. Big and small, no matter where we were they were there. I don't think we were close to prairie dog habitat. I'm thankful nobody got a broken ankle. Dogs st piped in them we stepped in them. Some were visible many were not. If you go be very careful.

There were two of us with two dogs and we hunted public land. Already looking forward to next year.

I have no idea what they were. Some were about 10 inches across others only 5 or 6. Usually there was two or three in close proximity.

I have no idea what they were. Some were about 10 inches across others only 5 or 6. Usually there was two or three in close proximity.

Sounds like badger or fox. Have to be some damn big gophers to dig 6-10 inch holes! :)

Badgers!!! I hate Stinkin' Badgers! Dropped a bird next to Badger hole a few years back and before I could get to it, The stinkin' Badger stole my Bird!!!:mad::eek:
This year, dog stuck his head in a badger hole, and came out stinking like skunk!!

I hate BADGERS""""
Not to mention the a certain Football team!

Back