Just a friendly reminder about retrieving birds over the property line

If you know somebody, and are a lawyer,as I am, it is ok.
In MN you can legally enter private land without permission to retrieve wounded game. I hunt deer, pheasants, and turkeys. Although I know its legal to do so, I have never and would not do it. I go seek permission to retrieve that wounded animal. I've never had anyone deny me access once I tell them what I'm trying to do.

It also states you can enter private property to retrieve a dog but you cannot bring your firearm. Best to keep your dog under control and only on land you have permission to be on. People shoot dogs that enter their land when they aren't supposed to be there.

Entering private property without permission comes with an elevated level of risk. I don't need to get into an argument with a landowner. Arguments can lead to confrontation, and confrontations can get hostile. Especially when a firearm is involved. No bird or deer is worth it for this guy. Seek permission first.
If someone shoots a dog they can go to jail.

If someone shoots a dog they can go to jail.
I know that. Its still not worth the risk for me or the dog though because all it takes is one bad or stray shot.

In MN you can legally shoot a dog that is chasing deer between Jan - July, which is outside of hunting season. They don't want dogs chasing deer in the winter when they are under stress or when there are newly born spring fawns around. Best to keep control of your dog.

. Where in that subsection where i have "game" highlighted does it give you permission to kill the animal when your pursuit ends and you find it?
It doesn't mention it at all. I.E. it doesn't say that it is prohibited either. This is getting into ethics, no good hunter will let a wounded animal needlessly suffer. Oh, and I talked to a 4th Iowa game warden on Sunday. He disagreed with you too. I'd say 4 in a row is not an individuals "discretion" but rather a consensus on how the laws are enforced. I realize you are stubborn as a mule, and that's fine. But four different conservation officers said you're wrong. You believe whatever you want to.

Back