Just a friendly reminder about retrieving birds over the property line

Bob Peters

When you shoot a pheasant and he sails over the line from public into private, you can and should make a retrieve attempt if possible. That being said, in most states in the pheasant belt you must be unarmed. I've seen several videos from this year in sodak where a guy is ditch hunting, shoots a bird, and then walks into the ag field a good ways to get the dog and help retrieve the rooster. WITH SHOTGUN IN HAND. If the landowner or lessee sees this, you can be given a hefty ticket. Also not a good look for hunters. Iowa is the same, and I think MN too. Leave your gun in the ditch or at the fenceline.

In Kansas state statute reads that it’s legal to retrieve game until you’re asked to leave. It says nothing about leaving firearm/bow upon entry or whether or not property is posted. Though it does seem every landowner, hunter, and even wardens, as BrownDogs said, have their own interpretation.

Last edited:
He might have permission on that land. I have a few places like that where the land is just corn/beans but ditches could hold a bird.

Also if you see a good ditch and there is a house nearby, just politely knock on the door and let them know you are going to hunt the ditch up the road a bit in case they hear shots. Some respect like that goes A LONG ways, and one time it turned into "when you are done, you can come hunt out back as well". But most will just say "ok have fun and good luck", and this keeps from having an angry husband flying down the road to see who was hunting his land not knowing you were in the ditch, then looking for a broken law because your shots wasted his time. You may also gain permission to shoot within the no-shooting zone (200yds in iowa) if you ask and mention you would never shoot towards their buildings.

Ive never tried, but i bet if they own the crop ground they will give you permission to chase a wounded one across the field if you ask. Most farmers in phez country know you can legally hunt that ditch and will be friendly to you.

Now obviously this is Iowa talk and not the miles of open ditches of SD.

Kansas I have no idea. SD and Iowa you can go on private to retrieve game. I doubt the videos I saw the guys had permission or knew the land owner although he could have. I was just posting as the title states, a friendly reminder about UNARMED game retrieval.

You don't need permission in iowa to do this.

Actually you do. As you cannot kill a wounded animal on private property without permission. You can and have to make an attempt to retrieve, but if you find the bird (or deer) alive you need to retreat and contact land owner for permission to finish it off. That includes sending a dog or chasing down on foot a crippled bird. Now, again nobody is going to say anything about getting a crippled bird across the fence most likely, but they have a right to tell you no if the animal is still alive. Same reason you cannot retrieve a cripple from a closed refuge.

If you killed the animal you can go get it unarmed without requiring permission.

Know the laws in the state you are hunting. Party hunting (group limit) is also not allowed in every state.
I learned this was not allowed in Iowa 2 or 3 years ago and am not sure I have found anyone that seemed to know this. This information has trimmed my bird harvest numbers, but my hunting buddy gets to shoot a bunch more now!

In MN you can legally enter private land without permission to retrieve wounded game. I hunt deer, pheasants, and turkeys. Although I know its legal to do so, I have never and would not do it. I go seek permission to retrieve that wounded animal. I've never had anyone deny me access once I tell them what I'm trying to do.

It also states you can enter private property to retrieve a dog but you cannot bring your firearm. Best to keep your dog under control and only on land you have permission to be on. People shoot dogs that enter their land when they aren't supposed to be there.

Entering private property without permission comes with an elevated level of risk. I don't need to get into an argument with a landowner. Arguments can lead to confrontation, and confrontations can get hostile. Especially when a firearm is involved. No bird or deer is worth it for this guy. Seek permission first.

In MN you can legally enter private land without permission to retrieve wounded game. I hunt deer, pheasants, and turkeys. Although I know its legal to do so, I have never and would not do it. I go seek permission to retrieve that wounded animal. I've never had anyone deny me access once I tell them what I'm trying to do.

It also states you can enter private property to retrieve a dog but you cannot bring your firearm. Best to keep your dog under control and only on land you have permission to be on. People shoot dogs that enter their land when they aren't supposed to be there.

Entering private property without permission comes with an elevated level of risk. I don't need to get into an argument with a landowner. Arguments can lead to confrontation, and confrontations can get hostile. Especially when a firearm is involved. No bird or deer is worth it for this guy. Seek permission first.
If you know somebody, and are a lawyer,as I am, it is ok.

Doesnt matter, which is why i decided to delete that. You cant go after a crippled bird across a fence, gun in hand or not.
Might want to look at the current ia hunting regulations. Last paragraph on page 14 says an unarmed person can take the most direct route to retrieve any lawfully injured or dead game animal or furbearer, that falls or crosses into the property of another.

Might want to look at the current ia hunting regulations. Last paragraph on page 14 says an unarmed person can take the most direct route to retrieve any lawfully injured or dead game animal or furbearer, that falls or crosses into the property of another.

Retrieve, but cant kill it on private land. Its written so you can follow a deer blood trail. If your animal is alive across the fence line, you cannot chase it down and kill it without permission. I suppose your dog going and getting a cripple then you killing it in the ditch is a gray area.

Last edited:
Back