Jury Duty Halts Hunt

BritChaser

Was planning on heading for the Rockies for some dusky grouse hunting after a dove shoot in western Kansas on Labor Day. But when I checked the mail yesterday I got a jury duty summons for the two-week period ending Sept. 5.

I thread on jury duty experiences would be interesting. I got called before but no trial took place.

I have been call once a year for the passed 6 years. Never had to actually serve on a jury. But it is a pain to sit through the day. with them trying to select the members of the Jury.

I know all the police and county law enforcement. I usually list all their names on my info. I am usually in the 1st bunch to get released.....

Ive only been called once. I was stationed in Germany when I got the notice. Not a fun long distance phone bill after spending a lot of time on hold to explain why I wouldn't be at the court house.

Had someone that worked for me that got called and ended up being chosen to sit on a murder trial. He said it was pretty interesting.

Once I was able to postpone jury duty because I was scheduled to be out of town. I can't remember why. Maybe I was still in college and I got a notice in my hometown.

They didn't let me out of it totally, but they did postpone it until Summer break. Maybe if you call the # and sweet talk them, you can back it up until February. :laugh:

I was called for jury duty about 4 yrs ago.

defense council asked if there were any NRA members present. I raised my

hand and was dismissed!

KB,

there were about 4-5 of us, we decided it was because membership would indicate our basic law and order philosophy and not buy into a bunch of psycho-babble.

case was a kid purse snatcher ID'd by 3 of the victims, so the BS was going to fly. He probably didn't get hugged enough.

Carl

Oh, the age of enlightenment has left behind this KS hick:cool: In my adult life I've struggled to appreciate (and even understand for that matter) the political scene, education, and yes, even the justice system. An NRA member is still an American "peer" that should be allowed to influence the outcome of a trial. Is the prosecution allowed to ask potential jurors if they subscribe to the entitlement mentality and reject people based on that information? If everyone agreed on everything, we'd only need 1 judge for every case.

Thanks for the response, Sir.

Last edited:
I was selected and sat on two cases--one was a wrongful death against Ford Motor Co. and the other was a bank robbery. Very interesting and a great education on how it all works and if possible you should do it if you can. :)

The jury selection process as a real eye opener and has a GREAT influence on the outcome--to much influence IMHO. :eek:

In the Ford case--good luck if you try that--they have really good lawyers. :D
In the Bank robbery case it was a look into criminal thinking---what an education that was. :thumbsup:

I got a notice when I was 20 for some federal court jury thing. Being young I tossed it in the trash never heard no more:). I was in the service anyways. Its easy to get out of. tell them you believe in the death penalty for everything never heard from the others after that:D

Oh, the age of enlightenment has left behind this KS hick:cool: In my adult life I've struggled to appreciate (and even understand for that matter) the political scene, education, and yes, even the justice system. An NRA member is still an American "peer" that should be allowed to influence the outcome of a trial. Is the prosecution allowed to ask potential jurors if they subscribe to the entitlement mentality and reject people based on that information? If everyone agreed on everything, we'd only need 1 judge for every case.

Thanks for the response, Sir.

Moreover, assumptions about the general views of members of the NRA or any other interest group or affiliation are usually wrong. About the only assumption that one could count on as to an NRA member is that s/he supports the 2nd Amendment. Beyond that you're in the realm of speculation. But one might also assume that an NRA member is a stickler for other Constitutional rights such as the right of a criminal defendant to a fair trial and due process with its requirement of proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. My deep thought is that an NRA member might be someone a criminal defense attorney wants on the jury.

Last edited:
Dismissed for being an NRA member:confused: How/why is that relevant?

I am guessing I am one of the few lawyers on the board, so I will try to explain, but first some context. As a juror, you can be relieved of your duty for three reasons: 1) Hardship (you are the self-employed sole breadwinner of the family/medical condition); 2) Strikes for cause (you cannot be impartial); 3) Peremptory strikes -- one side or the other does not like you. Unless you have a hardship that causes you to be released early (i.e. you have cancer treatment this afternoon) you should never know why you were struck from the venire panel (the big group of people).

Another important piece of information that a lot of venire persons never realize is that with peremptory strikes each side only gets 3, so that's a total of 6. The jury is usually made up of 12 people, plus two alternates. Usually, the two alternates are selected from a group of four people -- each party getting a strike out of those four. So, what happens while you are all are on your long break is that the Court and the attorneys go through the strikes for cause and the hardship strikes to figure out who they are going to let go because they don't appear to be impartial (or they know the defendant, plaintiff, accused, etc.) and who they are going to let go for hardship. After all of those people are decided upon, the court then says: This is our final panel of 18 that will be the jurors for which we will select peremptory strikes and the panel of four to serve as alternates after strikes.

So, let's say we have a jury panel of 60 people (that's what I had at my last jury trial). Let's say we have venire person #s 1, 6, and 8 struck for cause and/or hardship. Anyone with a juror number over 25 has no chance of sitting on that jury -- they are not even being considered -- we have effectively (or ineffectively) wasted your time.

With that background, I doubt you were struck for cause. My guess is you had a high juror number and did not have much of a chance to make it on the panel or you were a peremptory strike, probably by the defense.

By now you are probably thinking -- none of this answers your question. So let me give you my perspective. We ask a lot of questions that do not seem to make any sense in voir dire, but they make sense in the trial. We also ask a lot of questions to try to get an idea about how people think, how they feel, their political leanings. I want to get to know as much about you in the three questions you answer as I possibly can. I also want to know about you by the questions you don't answer. So, NRA question is relevant because it is going to give the defense counsel an idea or can help them place you into several categories, based on what we know about NRA members: 1) There is a very high likelihood you are conservative; 2) There's a very high likelihood that you are protective of your family, property, etc; 3) That you are not likely to be a "victim;" 4) That you have core sense of what you believe justice to be -- i.e. that criminals should be punished for their crimes. And fifth and probably the most important to those who study juries -- you are proud of that membership.

These are all good and valid ideals, as long as you are not on the defense in a criminal case -- then these are bad, bad ideals. Why? Because more than likely you will convict his client and in a jurisdiction in which the jury decides the punishment, you will select the harshest punishment. All of these things are against what this attorney was hired to do.

I'll stop there, if you want me to elaborate more on why these five things would make you a great prosecution juror or a bad defense juror, I'd be happy to do so. I don't do criminal work -- but the concepts are generally the same, even though I am sure the nuances of jury selection vary greatly.

Moreover, assumptions about the general views of members of the NRA or any other interest group or affiliation are usually wrong. About the only assumption that one could count on as to an NRA member is that s/he supports the 2nd Amendment. Beyond that you're in the realm of speculation. But one might also assume that an NRA member is a stickler for other Constitutional rights such as the right of a criminal defendant to a fair trial and due process with its requirement of proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. My deep thought is that an NRA member might be someone a criminal defense attorney wants on the jury.

I disagree. Granted, while I might be standing in front of 5 people who raise their hands as members of the NRA and my assumptions are incorrect about 2 of them, that is still not good for my client (actually it would be great for my clients, generally but not in the situation at bar). Jury research tells us a lot about NRA folks and generalities about them. Two things are important here: 1) there were a lot more questions asked than is anyone here a member of the NRA and 2) you don't get to sit down with these people over a beer to discuss their thought processes, so voir dire has to focus on generalities and narrow those down as much as possible over several hours.

Thanks for the jury class KAT:thumbsup: I like when the people that do the actual job for a living tells us some facts:thumbsup: I haven't said anything to get me tossed in jail have I:eek::D:D

I had the same issue. I had plans for a pheasant hunt in eastern Montana and then I got summoned to appear for jury duty. I told them I had vacation plans already and they moved my time to appear back two more weeks. You should be able to move your time if you let them know asap. But from my experience you won't get out of it all together just delayed a week or two. I don't know if it makes a difference but that was in Minnesota.

Thanks for the jury class KAT:thumbsup: I like when the people that do the actual job for a living tells us some facts:thumbsup: I haven't said anything to get me tossed in jail have I:eek::D:D

Well... I don't think so. But, if you hear those solid three knocks on your front door -- I'm not the guy to call.

I must have an honest face and all the right answers---I was in the jury pool for a month and we reported twice---yep -- I was selected for both times. Maybe it was beginners luck. :D

Back