Junior Hunt Grizzly Island

Beniciahd

If anyone has time to donate their time and dog on November 21st for the apprentice pheasant hunt they could use your help. They are really short on dogs and the turnout is looking high. Just give them a call. 707-425-3828.

If anyone has time to donate their time and dog on November 21st for the apprentice pheasant hunt they could use your help. They are really short on dogs and the turnout is looking high. Just give them a call. 707-425-3828.

I never laughed so hard or hit the dirt more often than when I took kids to those junior hunts. They've reduced the dirt diving through a more regimented hunt but they haven't reduced the fun. A very enjoyable and rewarding way to get your dogs some bird experience for free. The ones they had at Little Dry Creek used to be covered by guys that worked for DFG that had dogs and hunted. Hook and bullet guys that work for DFW are declining just like the pheasants.
The Grizzly Island area manager knows all the duck clubs in the area. He and the unit biologist ought to go put the arm on those guys as a resource for dogs. I bet they'd be more than willing to help.

I never laughed so hard or hit the dirt more often than when I took kids to those junior hunts. They've reduced the dirt diving through a more regimented hunt but they haven't reduced the fun. A very enjoyable and rewarding way to get your dogs some bird experience for free. The ones they had at Little Dry Creek used to be covered by guys that worked for DFG that had dogs and hunted. Hook and bullet guys that work for DFW are declining just like the pheasants.
The Grizzly Island area manager knows all the duck clubs in the area. He and the unit biologist ought to go put the arm on those guys as a resource for dogs. I bet they'd be more than willing to help.

I'm looking forward to it! I'm just going to keep my young dog working in close! The unit biologist said it seems to be older kids so hopefully they've had some wing shooting under their belts. I'll give him your idea. Thanks!

Good job to you and that young lady, that's a memory she won't soon forget. Thank you for getting out there and helping.:10sign:

What is a "hook and bullet" guy?

What is a "hook and bullet" guy?

People who fish and hunt.
You'd be surprised at how many current employees at DFW don't do either unlike in the past. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that it's a very big change that results in a change in attitude toward consumptive uses. In the past DFG was staffed by people who grew up hunting and fishing and that often colored their decisions. Now people with a biology degree who have never hunted or fished look for employment and DFW is a logical place to find it.

People who fish and hunt.
You'd be surprised at how many current employees at DFW don't do either unlike in the past. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that it's a very big change that results in a change in attitude toward consumptive uses. In the past DFG was staffed by people who grew up hunting and fishing and that often colored their decisions. Now people with a biology degree who have never hunted or fished look for employment and DFW is a logical place to find it.

Sorry, that was pretty silly - I was pretty dense there. I was looking for deeper meaning I guess. Or just being a moron. Thanks for explaining.

I have seen the same trend myself, including some new game wardens. Always interesting to help a game warden ID a duck (some of the new ones have a problem telling a hen widgeon from hen pintail) or show them the latest and greatest in non-toxic shot choices. I am pretty sure you haven't spent much time swinging a bead across a duck if you don't know that stuff.

I know some guys that get pissed off about the hunting and fishing inexperience of the staff. But everybody's gotta learn in the beginning, right? It just makes the learning curve steeper if you haven't been hunting before. Heck, if you patient and encouraging, you might even make a friend and a convert. Nothing like getting timely advice from staff that hunt. ;)

Back