JP Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 16ga SxS

I have been looking for a lightweight bird gun for awhile and found one today that fit the bill. I don't really know anything about the gun. I have been trying to research it online but I am not having much luck. Hopefully one of you can give me some info.

JP Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. 16 gauge SxS. I was told it was chocked IC, M.
Barrels 29.5"
serial number: 180234

Pictures to follow.

Very nice! I know nothing about it except that I'm jealous.:D How much does it weigh?

Thanks Quail Hound. According to that info It was made in 1912. A bit older than I originally assumed.

It is quite light for a gun with 29.5" barrels. I weighed it at 6#4oz

They did not have a way to measure them at the LGS we stuck a 2 3/4" she'll in and went in fine, but I guess that does not necessarily mean it is chambered for 2 3/4".

Last edited:
It looks like it's in great shape. I would have the chambers measured, if they haven't been lengthed to 2 3/4 (they came with 65mm/ 2 9/16 chambers) you MAY want to have it done so you can shoot modern ammo.

No, shells are measure fired I believe so a 2 3/4" shell will slip right into a 2 9/16" chamber.

Nice looking Sauer. How's the drop at comb? I've had a number of European SxS's and OU's which included several Sauer's, Merkels, etc. and sometimes they are too low at the comb for me, and some are/were very workable.

My 16 gauge J P Sauer-

IMG_0951CC.jpg

Maynard whats your go to pheasant load in yours?

Wish I had one(go to load and pheasants to shoot). Actually, I separated a shoulder and have done little shooting since then. The Sauer has only had a few rounds put through it by me. As I recall the gun was manufactured in 1958. It at one time belonged to Larry Brown, author of "A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook" and writer of articles in the outdoor magazines.

My plans when I purchased the gun was to reload and I obtained several recipes for loads. I also had recommendations for B&P F2 Classic. I am not sure what the availability of the B&P shell in the U.S. is at the moment. I did pick up quite a few Remington 16 gauge loads on sale at Dick's. The problem with them is the hull is black just like the 12 gauge Remington Unibody that I reload. I worry about putting one of those black 16 shells in one of my 12 gauge. I did find some Federals and like having a purple hull. The B&P is a lime green as I recall.

I really should sell the Sauer since I don't shoot much.

Here is a link to 16 gauge shells over on the 16 gauge society's site. I don't know how current it is.

http://www.16ga.com/cartridges.html

Soon after I purchased my Sauer, I stopped at Shooter's in South Hutch and see a Sauer in the rack behind the counter. I asked Bob to see it. He handed it to me it was a 16 x 16 x 8x57 drilling. Similar to this one at Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/product/J-P-Sauer-Sohn-Drilling-Ga-x-Ga-x-x-JR/1595826.uts

Bob was interested in my gun as he had a customer in Wichita that collected Sauer and was interested in the drilling but they had not gotten together on price. If Cabela's has reduced that drilling to $1,000 I am surprised it is not sold. As I recall Bob was asking in the $2200 to $2500 for the one in Hutch.

Last edited:
Have been looking at 16 sxs. Nearly picked one of these up on gunbroker a month ago but decided the wife wouldn't have found it near as nice as I did.

Back