Jones Dog Box Renovation Pt. 2

then installed the covers for the pop-up vents, these make for a very nice appearance and help with sharp edges and rivet ends from getting to the dogs and built a new front box divider using the old divider from the rear.

I moved through the existing holes and the rear adding insulation, sheeting and lights, including lights below the storage area (this was when I thought I would just use it as open space rather than adding drawers).

70281165_RearUnderneath.thumb.jpg.313acf413f29d16a8dbc7f9b7a1f2544.jpg

After sheeting the roof and installing the lights in the rear, the box actually sat dormant for a little while because the next move was a pretty big commitment, so I did little things to bide my time before taking the big project leap, cutting the side panels off to make the additional two holes and side doors for the storage area. I wasn't able to locate the "sides" off photos I took, but it was interesting, however not terribly time consuming.

1529639513_Passengerside-litup.thumb.jpg.a5ee1d2f3858bbdc623492cfe18397fc.jpg1140556251_Boxwith3rdStallandStorageDoors.thumb.jpg.92b8fc9470416012da244329deac83fc.jpg

Here's what all eight doors look like now. I still need to put hinge on one storage door, but that's okay. As you can see from the doors on the storage area, they both have locking "L" handles. I bought ones that go 360 degrees, I wish I would have just gone to 90. The additional dog box doors are built the exact same way as from Jones. The storage doors are different sizes because I needed more depth for my big control panel.

I built my door frames, brazing and welding parts as needed. You can't see them in these photos, but the storage doors are designed to have "studs" to attach hooks and "cubbies" to as I determine where they are needed after a year's use. I bought the louvers and door parts well before the project began and learned how to hand hem the sheeting from the old sides to avoid sharp edges on the doors -- that was tough, but a rubber mallet finishes the job nicely.

From there, it was on to getting the wiring finalized and the switch panels wired. I've got two switch panels, the red runs everything. The blue goes to the same power source but is separately wired and it is a place where you can plug chargers in both USB and cigarette style and includes a volt meter. I also installed a Battery Tender which goes to a 110 plug with a cover mounted on a rear exterior flange. Fortunately, this truck has 110v outlet, so charging can occur while driving, if there's such a need.

1274901981_AuxPanelwithCharger.thumb.jpg.56a77340e6c341ed6c0fe4a4d9baaba4.jpg474281484_SwitchPanel-New.thumb.jpg.1b7bcb71a13727f07f052d9bc037e070.jpg

image.thumb.png.7586536c94e7c5a6b0cc50ed6dfe70c2.png

I also built into the rear deck a batter access hole.

1662592706_BatteryAccess.thumb.jpg.017cfe957289f351b2e5380195398bac.jpg

My next sub-project was to build drawers -- this was an afterthought, but after working with metal for a month or so, it was nice to work with wood. The box on the left is designed to hold big items in its left compartment, tent, collar bag, first aid kit, etc. The right compartment of the left side will hold the same manner of things, but I added rails to put a tray or two on to hold other items that are less bulky up high. I've not yet built the trays, but will have them done before season.

The drawer on the right is designed to hold my Yeti 45 long ways towards the back with some low profile storage next to it or my RTIC 20 with room behind it. The narrow cub on the right side of the right box will hold my Coleman Camp Stove in a vertical position. The drawers on are locking sliders.

430038616_RearBox-withDrawers.thumb.jpg.b5c42f2fe16fd78b54af7e527fc06e30.jpg1107150237_DrawersOut.thumb.jpg.e004b7f06fae7e8c8b41275ff5162b35.jpg

Once that was final, we were ready for the last big step, the new hole dividers. I was able to get the piece cut to size at order and then bent from a friend of a friend. In a miscommunication of the need for the radius of the bend, we ended up 1/8th too tall and 1/8th too wide, but nothing a little angle aluminum and a jig saw couldn't solve (after some cussing). I perforated the aluminum (before installation) with 2" holes and it seems to have worked out well and looks nice and built the divider in the same manner.

1777417120_NewRearBox-Hole.thumb.jpg.f4748d086d039fc79c4ef4168b9efcf7.jpg53421640_RearStorage-WithDivider.thumb.jpg.33f2c1e46b6cc3f70c10bb8028dacdec.jpg

I then went through and caulked everything, put rubber seals on all of the doors, so it is effectively done, save a few pieces of insulation and a new battery. It will be ready to put back in the truck in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading.

Nice
I've been contemplating turning a six hole Ainly topper into a 4 hole allowing for more storage. Your project may convinced me to give it a go. I looks like a ton of work and probably a pretty tall stack of c-notes but you get what you want with out custom ordering one

Nice
I've been contemplating turning a six hole Ainly topper into a 4 hole allowing for more storage. Your project may convinced me to give it a go. I looks like a ton of work and probably a pretty tall stack of c-notes but you get what you want with out custom ordering one
If I were you, I'd just leave it as a six hole and build storage underneath. Those louvers should keep everything dry in those boxes and they are probably plenty deep to store pretty big items.

Frankly, I will only be hauling 3 dogs at a time most times, but there will be a number of times I will need to haul 5 -- maybe 6. All the other times, I'll store stuff in that other hole.

Back