January

My name is Al. I’m a rooster chasin’ junkie. Doesn’t get much more fun than slip sliding through the snow chasin’ roosters. Well it is more more fun when you have endured a week of frigid temps and now it’s balmy. Never put a key in the ignition today. Headed north with the old man Scout for a few miles...missed the first bird over a perfect point. Got that look only a really old dog can give...you know I may not have many of those left. Moved on. Point...hen. Point...hen. Point right where the last hen flushed from. Tiniest tuft of grass at the end of some cats. Just about to call Scout off when the rooster flushed. That’s one. Worked back to the house and swapped out dogs. Jazz was more interested in cattle and rabbits initially then got down to business. Locked up on a cattail slough about 200 yards away...uh dog that doesn’t help much. Got closer...about a 100 birds got up in the wave. All hens from what I could see. Wait for it...wait for it. Sneaky old rooster got up. That is two. Another mass flush. 60 or 70 birds. Hard point...porky...one less in the immediate area. Another mass flush. Working a draw with cats, running springs and flushing birds. Ice a bit slippery...oh, that‘s a fence post...ouch. Point...hen. Point ... hen. Point...hen. Repeat several times. Point...hen....rooster! Keep calm and Yell rooster that’s three. Time to walk home. Bunnahabhain in my future with some fresh pheasant pate.

Do you feel guilty that you had all that fun while i was working and my dogs were in their pen? Awesome day for sure!!

Today’s episode is brought to you by “Pheasants Anonymous“ and is much easier to document. Point...hen... Repeat approximately two dozen times. Fun but adds no birds to the bag. One last walk before turning the truck toward home. Point...Huns. That’s one. Point...Huns...that’s two and ... three. Time to head home. Any hunt that ends with a double on Huns is extremely successful imho. Cheers! Duck, home fries in duck fat and Mondavi Meritage for supper

Back