January quail hunt

moellermd

Super Moderator
Any suggestions for a Jan quail hunt for my wife and I. Some place warm.

Give me a few days and I'll give you a review of a south GA quail hunt. Heading there Thursday for 2.5 days worth of hunting. Looking forward to it.

If you're coming to Texas concentrate on the Rolling Plains for wild quail hunting. The Rolling Plains is basically the area west of a line running from San Angelo up to Wichita Falls, and over to the edge of the Llano Estacado or caprock east of Lubbock and down toward Big Spring.

In the fall of 2016, the Rolling Plains of Texas had the highest quail numbers on record since the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department started running surveys, which was in 1978.

Texas is about 98% privately owned land, so it's almost 100% "pay to play" down here.

The temperatures for a January/February quail hunt in Texas can vary from ice and snow on the ground to shirtsleeve weather. I've seen it be 80 degrees one day, and there be snow on the ground the next. Either way, the wind always seems to be blowing.

I would look around Childress, Texas and Paducah, Texas to start with. I'm sure there's some outfitters/guides operating out of both of those places. You might also look at Albany, Texas. It's north of Abilene and there are some big ranches in that area that offer package hunts for quail. The Nail Ranch and the Stasney Cook Ranch would be where I'd look first.

Have you looked into hunting locations in San Diego - I was born and raised there and we have amazing warm weather year round - heck, today, its 80 degrees!

Absolutely! We actually have a ridiculous amount of wild turkey roaming the public areas. It's kind of crazy because they nearly take over full fields. As for quail, I know we have a lot of wild quail on our property on Palomar Mountain, so there's gotta be more roaming the public lands.
I run a hunting club up there and we currently are raising and releasing loads of pheasants on the mountain to help repopulate the area (and for hunts). If you choose to come to San Diego for a hunt, let me know and I, or one of my guides, can meet with you and show you around the mountain areas so you can see the most populated areas that are best for hunts :)

Absolutely! We actually have a ridiculous amount of wild turkey roaming the public areas. It's kind of crazy because they nearly take over full fields. As for quail, I know we have a lot of wild quail on our property on Palomar Mountain, so there's gotta be more roaming the public lands.
I run a hunting club up there and we currently are raising and releasing loads of pheasants on the mountain to help repopulate the area (and for hunts). If you choose to come to San Diego for a hunt, let me know and I, or one of my guides, can meet with you and show you around the mountain areas so you can see the most populated areas that are best for hunts :)

I have a friend who often goes to San Diego I'm actually watching his springer spaniel now he in so cal. He would be my in & only reason to go to San diago but I think I could swing a spring turkey hunt...

I'm 100% against paying to hunt & would rather hunt public lands so that being said do u think the public lands get over hunted or just beaten to death day in day or etc.??? Or is it rare to see other hunters ???

Was just talking with him about it last night lol. Going to turkey hunt San Diego lol

Back