It's wet in Kansas!

Kansan

The whole state has gotten some amount of rain or another. The fields in low areas are starting to flood here around Manhattan. We've gotten several inches at least. Looking at the 24 hour precipitation map, it looks like north central Kansas has gotten soaked, with over 4 inches in some places just in the past day. So they must have over 8 in the past few days. Western Kansas has appeared to have gotten some much needed moisture as well. I know they got a good amount of rain down home in southeast Kansas. The whole state has gotten some moisture, which is excellent. Do you guys think it could be too much in some places of NCK? Glad we don't have freshly hatched birds running around, I fear many would drown in conditions like this.

Turkeys aren't even nesting yet, The timing this year compared to last couple could not have been better IMHO. A couple more smaller systems and some thunderstorms in June and July and you could be up to your arse in birds.:)

We did not get even close to those amounts of rain. 1.74 total in Hays and just right at 2 inches in Great Bend. I saw Oakley got just under 2 inches. We would have sure welcomed 8 inches.

Last edited:
Nice rains here at the Ponderosa. The Ponderosa had huge months in May 2015 and April 2016, which led to excellent nesting conditions for upland birds. The latest rain, plus the 2.5" of ice in January has put some pretty good moisture in the soil.

A friend sw of Ness City had 3 inches, there is more in the forecast. Once you get over 2 or 3 inches it all starts to runoff and doesn't soak in anyway. It's better to get an inch or two, the get an inch or two more a few days later, unless you are wanting runoff to fill ponds. It sure is setting up to be a good nesting season if things continue down this path.

Kansas, where you can slip on the ice and fall in the mud and get up and brush the dust off!!!:D

We got an additional 1.5 inches Friday and Saturday. 3.5 total. It is not running off at all here or in Ness. It was a slow soaking rain spread out over several days.

We got an additional 1.5 inches Friday and Saturday. 3.5 total. It is not running off at all here or in Ness. It was a slow soaking rain spread out over several days.

There are river flood warnings where they had 8 inches, that was my point. 8 inches is not good for anything except filling up ponds. Soil erosion is terrible, it washes rock of roads where it goes over them, takes out fences ect. There is more rain in the forecast which is good.

5.05" at the Ponderosa last week.

Ditches full with a few occasional ducks.

Big playas full and lots of ducks.

Streams and some ditches running.

Had pea size hail also.

Corrals deep with slop.

Some roads impassible.

Forecast is 100% chance on Tuesday.

Dad just told me the rivers in Wilson County (SEK) are bank full. I want him to go check out our turkey honey hole in a bend of the river, but he is thinking it'll be next week to be able to walk around it without picking up 50 lbs of mud.

I'm over here in Missouri by Joplin, we have had a lot of rain, but most of it good slow soaking drizzles it seems like. Exactly what we needed. Forecast is for rain the rest of the week.

Glad to hear rain hitting out west.

Praise the Lord!

5.05" at the Ponderosa last week.

Ditches full with a few occasional ducks.

Big playas full and lots of ducks.

Streams and some ditches running.

Had pea size hail also.

Corrals deep with slop.

Some roads impassible.

Forecast is 100% chance on Tuesday.

There are river flood warnings where they had 8 inches, that was my point. 8 inches is not good for anything except filling up ponds. Soil erosion is terrible, it washes rock of roads where it goes over them, takes out fences ect. There is more rain in the forecast which is good.

I thought you were referring to western Kansas. We didn't get 8 inches here. If we did we would be thankful for it.

I planted 5 acres of Clover just before the rain. First day we got a 1/2" and I thought I timed it perfect. Now 5"+ later I am afraid I donated a couple hundred bucks of seed to the ditch at the bottom of the field. :mad:

Back