It's officially Fall

calamari

I know it's over 90 degrees but the first flights of Sandhill Cranes flew over the house today heading South to the Cosumnes River Preserve and all their other wintering spots. That's how I mark the start of fall.

Those sand hills are a noisy bunch aren't they? I haven't seen any yet but they usually arrive here just before valley quail start. I went up to the mountains yesterday to hunt some quail and there was frost on the ground when I started. Got 3 birds, one on a covey rise and a double following up on the covey and missed one more easy shot. More mt quail seem to be trickling into my secret spot every time I visit it, there were 20 plus birds in the covey yesterday which is a nice sized covey.:cheers:

Well, right now Cal and Morgan are out there somewhere in North and East Montana, probably on the South side of some wind sheltered area camped for the night getting ready for supper. Geese overhead, yotes howling here and there and everywhere.
Cleaning a batch of Perch, couple, three roosters.
Just doing what should be done on a Montana trip.
Have FUN Cal!!
Check in when you get a chance. :cheers:

I hope he's having a great time out there. I'm heading out to the river in the morning to check on the sandhill cranes and hunt a few quail.:cheers:

Back