It's Always Something...

The late Gilda Radner portrayed a character on Saturday Night Live named Roseanne Roseannadanna whose most famous line was "It's always something, if it ain't one thing, it's another." I was reminded of those famous words last night while thinking about some issues I've encountered over the last few years. These events started out BAD but I managed to find the GOOD in each:

1. About 4 years ago, I had surgery for a detached retina. This greatly interfered with my life and hunting. It also resulted in two cataract surgeries on that eye and I learned that the retina in my other eye is torn and that eye has a cataract. BAD
The GOOD - My surgeon was great. I can see very well from the repaired eye. I learned to shoot left handed fairly well in an effort to protect the surgically repaired eye.

2. A few months ago, my big, strong black Lab was diagnosed with kidney trouble and we were told nothing could be done to help him. BAD
The GOOD - I took him to another vet for a second opinion. It was determined that the dog had prostate trouble and not kidney trouble. The second vet was able to fix the problem and probably saved the dog's life. He is now our vet.

3. Yesterday, my yellow female Lab was diagnosed with cancer on her toe. The toe will probably have to be removed. BAD
The GOOD - Her life will be saved and dogs typically recover quite well from this procedure. She'll need to take it easy for a few weeks but I'm confident she will be fine. I don't think I've ever seen a dog with more hunting and retrieving desire than she has.

4. We hunt in SW Kansas. The extra-hot weather has certainly taken its toll on the birds in our area. BAD
The GOOD - We are still going to go at least once. I've never really cared about how many I shoot. I just like to go with my father and our dogs. It's fun regardless of how many roosters we bring home.

Yes - "it's always something" but you can't let the BAD stuff cause you to miss the GOOD.

Good luck to everyone this year.

Inspirational! Thanks for posting. I haven't missed an opener and a season in 18 years and some of those years were awful, but it was still rewarding.

Update

The female Lab had the surgery yesterday to remove her toe. Another growth, probably cancerous, was found and removed from her leg. The procedure went well and she is glad to be home and we are glad to have her home.

When we got home and unloaded her from the Suburban she hobbled over to the area where she does a lot of retrieving practice. She looked out at the yard for a few seconds and then looked at me as if to say "I'm ready, throw the dummy and I'll fetch it." She loves to retrieve!

Thanks for the update. I hope she enjoys this upcoming season!!

Back