It's a sad day.

carpfisher

I have noticed the dog hasn't been listening as well lately. It seemed to start a few months ago and was getting obvious in SD this year.So I took Sam ( see avatar) out for a fun run today and it was like he never heard a whistle before or knew what he was supposed to do when he heard it.
I think the bottom line is his hearing is gotten so bad that he is not verbally controllable anymore. I didn't have his Elec collar on and I had no recall capability at all. Fortunately, He hit his own level of "I am too far out" and turned and returned. He is 11 YO and still fit with a great nose. I guess now he never gets off the leash with out the collar anymore. He responds to the buzz like a silent whistle. What amazed us was how fast the change happened. It seem like just a matter of months.
I'm hoping to get at least one more year together in the field.

No matter how old you are, or how many dogs have been your partner, there is always the sharp lance of "NO! This can't be happening!. Not to us, not now."

Words don't work.

Best wishes.

Id have a vet examine him just to be certain its not something that can be helped like a low grade infection

I feel sorry for you. I had pointers and setters for years, it seems like they all get old without any warning. going hard, till one day, it's all there. They dance in a whirlwind of grace and verve, not as long as some others on the earth. But they sure make you stand up straight with pride, those big casts and breathtaking points.

We have recently been to the VET so I think its just age.
He is as good a shape as a 11 YO dog can be. Went for a run today with the rest of the pack and he keeps up just fine.
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Your dog will still be very valuable afield. A vibration of his ecollar and a hand signal - I use arm straight up for come - will do the trick. My huntin' buddy's britt was deaf for two seasons but she still delivered. Enjoy the years you have left with your seasoned dog.

Brit
That is exactly the plan. He is already trains sto that hand signal. As long as everything else permits him to hunt, we will. He had a surgery a bout 6 years ago for osteo- something dessicans in his LR leg. Get reccomendation was no more running. Like that was gonna be possible. He is like Yoda; limps around the house and moans when ever he moves. Until I walk out of the man cave with a shotgun. He is transformed back into a Jedi hunting warrior! He live for the smell of feathers!( and a biscuit!)[URL=http://s284.photobucket.com/user/carpfisher2/media/f0862e14-d268-4c82-903f-864e3c04ed14.jpg.html]://[/URL]

Last edited:
Back