Italian Rye Grass

OKIEGunner

Asking for some help/ recomendations for controlling Italian Rye Grass that has invaded around edges of a disked fire break surounding native grass fields.

I understand that IRG can be glyphosate-resistant and have seen several recomendations of 3X application rates.

Would mowing before seed head matures and wait for fall spraying application be a more effective control measure? Or should it be sprayed immediatley?

FCS,

I would agree a month or so ago, but in Oklahoma the warm season grasses are already active.

Ahh, then I would mow the whole thing just before seed heads, then round up in the spring at the first week after green up. And maybe repeat 2 years if its thick. Or at least the whole area you want to rid of it. If you like I can get you the contact to a grower that will help you solve your issue.

Isn't fall/early winter the best time for spraying CSG's if you want to get a good kill on the roots as this is when CSG's are putting nutrients in their root system for winter.

I'm thinking to mow now to suspress any seed development, then hit it hard with roundup in December.

Well not sure Jtee, but the problem is all grasses are up in the fall. CSg's sprout first in the spring, about 2 weeks sooner. so once we have a week and a half of growth we can spray everything green. It will not harm the wsg's because they have not yet emerged. Mowing in the fall before seed production before hand is a must. This is what the seed grower had me do to mine. One thing for sure is it killed everything green.:D Now I am waiting for my wsg's to sprout.:thumbsup: roots are killed as soon as you get a green plant. unless you want to kill everything, then fall is fine, but I would say sept at the latest to avoid dormancy.

Maybe in MN. but down here I spray my fescue in Nov. and sometimes even Dec. if we've got 3 or 4 days of 60 degree weather and by then the NWSG has gone dormant and the only thing left green is fescue.

Back