It has begun!

Nice… my brother got a limit this morning and was excited by how many birds he saw. 12 more days and I’ll be there. How’s the pp coming along?

Nice… my brother got a limit this morning and was excited by how many birds he saw. 12 more days and I’ll be there. How’s the pp coming along?
He’s good, my Braque took awhile to figure out blue grouse and I think the pp might be the same. In The first 2 minutes of his first blue grouse hunt my Alpha said he was at 275 yards, a little too far out.

Man I agree the learning curve on Duskys is steep… what’s your opinion on bird numbers after last winters snow and springs long thaw?

Reactions: dag
We went to our annual spot on the 1st. Bumped one covey and two single toms. Mountain got pretty hot for the dogs by one so we headed on home. Absolutely love opening day of grouse. So much fun. We found the numbers to be about what they were last year. A bit surprising with the amount of hoppers and food sources I encountered.IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_6215.jpegIMG_6204.jpegIMG_6187.jpeg
Decided to join my Pudelpointer for a blue grouse hunt this evening. He has been a liability so far this season (My Braque was the same his first season on blue grouse).

The conditions were perfect, 50 degrees, slight breeze. He’s been blowing out birds all month but I’ve been hunting him and not shooting bumped birds.

Hour into our walk he slams on point at the base of a tree with such intensity there was no doubt in my mind there was a bird there. I walk in down hill of the tree because “blues always flush downhill”. Bird flushed up hill, puppy breaks and the bird is so low I can’t take a shot. I’m heart broken since he finally put it together and I can’t shoot. Then it turns up and I take a long shot. It keeps flying off to the right but I see some feathers floating in the air. Minute later pup comes running up with the bird! I’m so amazed, that when another flushed I don’t even get a shot.
Great evening walk.

Goose, I’m not sure why you don’t like crates or e collars.

For me, the crate is a safe place for my lab when I’m driving.

I use The e collar (tone and vibrate) as a way to communicate with my lab without yelling or blowing a whistle. And the GPS is helpful if I lose sight of the dog.

Goose, I’m not sure why you don’t like crates or e collars.

For me, the crate is a safe place for my lab when I’m driving.

I use The e collar (tone and vibrate) as a way to communicate with my lab without yelling or blowing a whistle. And the GPS is helpful if I lose sight of the dog.
Old school. Don't need that stuff.Very effective without.

Got a blue today as well and got my truck back from Craig!

Attachments

• 46E29360-B0A4-4A07-96AE-9913BFB6A6FD.jpeg
    46E29360-B0A4-4A07-96AE-9913BFB6A6FD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 18353231-0654-4E7D-BD60-BC0A3E2F81DF.jpeg
    18353231-0654-4E7D-BD60-BC0A3E2F81DF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • DFFBA688-7ADD-4FE3-9401-B82EE168CDC4.jpeg
    DFFBA688-7ADD-4FE3-9401-B82EE168CDC4.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
Back