Is there wild pheasants in Cali?

Emanuel2b

Hi guys I was wondering is there wild pheasants on public lands in Cali? If so anyone know where I might have some luck during hunting season?

Also where are decent spot for chukar in Cali?
This is my second year hunting :) oh and I'm new to the forums.
I want to put my GSP to work this season :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. Yes there are public land wild birds in California but do to our extended drought they will be even harder to cone by than normal. I hunt the National Wildlife Refuge system in the central and north valley and even last year (which was rather poor) I didn't have a day without flushing multiple roosters but I hunt very hard and so do my dogs. For chukar think east, either NE around the Susanville area or SE from around Randsburg to the Mojave preserve. Some years chukar and quail hunting can be good out in the Panoche hills but probably won't be worth the trip this year. Good luck, this should prove to be a very tough year but thats all the more reason to burn a lot of boot leather.:cheers:

thanks! um can you explain to me exactly the refuges work??? can anyone just go or is it lottery system??? some people say you can show up and wait to get lucky to get in???? is it worth the drive to see maybe someone doesn't show up? can you go into great details how they work quail?
Thanks in advance! :D

On the more popular (better pheasant hunting) refuges you may need a reservation for opening day but after that you can usually walk on no problem if you're pheasant hunting. Put in a handful of reservations for the better refuges for opening day and don't worry about it for the rest of the year season but even on opening day you can just get there early (around 6) and walk on to some. Quail are off limits on federal refuges but some of the wildlife areas (Greylodge etc.) allow quail hunting on shoot days during pheasant season. I've learned not to let the nay sayers deter you from hunting the refuges, if you and your dog are up to working hat (where others don't) you will learn the lands and where the birds go and you will get opportunities.

Back