Is it worth it?

Jet

Question for those of you that are familiar with Kansas hunting and have also traveled to South Dakota. Is it worth it in your opinion?
I’ve been kicking around the idea of making a trip probably the week before the Kansas opener. Would hunt public and stay in cheap motels but between licenses gas etc I figure I’m still looking at close to $800-$1000.
So I guess what I’m really asking is do you think the sd experience is worth it? I typically have fair to moderate success in Kansas so it’s got to be more than just going out and shooting 3 birds a day to make worthwhile for me.

Theres no decision here... tomorrow is NOT guaranteed. Few people figure that out until its too late.
You cant take $$$ with you.
I will be shocked and disappointed if any of my fellow bird hunters actually tell you to stay home. Get after it!!

I would love to go to SD. It is on my bucket list. If I had time to fit it in I’d go for sure!

I don't know anyone who would be disappointed shooting 3 birds a day. I typically hunt 25-30 days per year so 75-90 birds a season, very, very, very, very few do that. I would take half that every season for the rest of my life.

Just to clarify, I won’t be staying home. If I don’t go to sd I’ll just spend that much more time hunting Kansas. My money and time will be spent in state however and probably fewer miles on the truck. I averaged 2.5 birds a day last year hunting wiha so real close to the sd limit but again I’m not really wanting to base this decision on birds bagged but more of the overall hunting experience.

For the experience? Absolutely! I wouldn’t trade my time out in western Kansas for anything. Sometimes I get lucky and bring home a few birds, too! ;)

Just to clarify, I won’t be staying home. If I don’t go to sd I’ll just spend that much more time hunting Kansas. My money and time will be spent in state however and probably fewer miles on the truck. I averaged 2.5 birds a day last year hunting wiha so real close to the sd limit but again I’m not really wanting to base this decision on birds bagged but more of the overall hunting experience.
Then I would head to North Dakota.

I've hunted in South Dakota twice.Once in 1992, and once in the spring of 2009. The fall hunt was great.We knocked on doors around Miller, and we actually stayed on a farm.The spring hunt was on a preserve, and it was my dads last hunt.It was near Gregory. I'd like to go back, so go, by all means.

I've been to S.D. once , early Nov. of '15. It was pretty much everything I expected. We hunted private property ( Gregory area ) we didn't limit every day but were into birds every day. Overall the only thing I would do differently is stay longer ! We only hunted 3 / 4 days , 20 hrs or so both ways so lots of windshield time but well worth it. GO

I've been hunting SD for the past several years. 3-4 day trips coming from Wi. We hunt mostly public with some opportunity hunting private land. There have been many long days hunting hard on publics with little bird contact; but also days with enough success that I am anxious to get back every fall. My options to hunt at home are pen raised birds only. I enjoy the SD experience but do not have anything to compete with it around home. I could see it going either way for you depending on expectations and bird numbers wherever you would end up.

I've been to S.D. once , early Nov. of '15. It was pretty much everything I expected. We hunted private property ( Gregory area ) we didn't limit every day but were into birds every day. Overall the only thing I would do differently is stay longer ! We only hunted 3 / 4 days , 20 hrs or so both ways so lots of windshield time but well worth it. GO
I think we had an 11 hour drive to Gregory. ITS A CRUISE!!!

I've been hunting SD for the past several years. 3-4 day trips coming from Wi. We hunt mostly public with some opportunity hunting private land. There have been many long days hunting hard on publics with little bird contact; but also days with enough success that I am anxious to get back every fall. My options to hunt at home are pen raised birds only. I enjoy the SD experience but do not have anything to compete with it around home. I could see it going either way for you depending on expectations and bird numbers wherever you would end up.
That's the way it was for us in the Miller area, on public land.Hit or miss.Sometimes it was pretty good, but we really had to walk miles.We hunted a private field near pine ridge that was excellent. However it was difficult locating the owner.The farm we stayed on only charged us 250 dollars for 4 days, and we hunted the farm.Wild birds, mostly corn hunting, I had a blast.

some reports of a lot of cut and baled CRP this fall in Kansas. you might want to try both KS and SD and split up your drive time and find a few KS quail too.

I've gone to SD a few times and the hunting was great - on private land that I paid a day fee to hunt.

I think you should just go and have a good time. We have no idea what your idea of a good experience is... I vote just go and next year you can ask yourself if it was worth it.

In my experience, a large portion of the satisfaction of memories re-lived comes from the folks with whom I've hunted. If you are just going by yourself,
it might be pleasant and wonderful...but it would be a much richer and long-lived memory if you had a buddy or two to hunt with.

Whichever way it goes, best wishes.

Last edited:
In my experience, a lot portion of the satisfaction of memories re-lived comes from the folks with whom I've hunted. If you are just going by yourself,
it might be pleasant and wonderful...but it would be a much richer and long-lived memory if you had a buddy or two to hunt with.

Whichever way it goes, best wishes.
Absolutely ! It's a couple of friends or your spouse ( if they enjoy it ) or both and the dogs that ultimately make the trip a pleasant memory .

Thanks to all for the replies. As so often happens life gets in the way so it’s probably not happening this year but I’m still looking forward to spending plenty of time in western ks!

Back