Is it too soon to ask about this year's hatch?

Was out West over memorial day weekend and saw lots of birds though. Didn't see any chicks driving back forth to go fishing.

I haven't seen any chicks yet in SW KS. I would imagine they will start showing up in 2-4 weeks. It sure would be nice to get some rain out here. We've only had 3.8 inches for the year, still things look good as far as weeds and cover this spring.

The peak of the pheasant hatch in Kansas is usually around June 10, quail are June 20. I haven't seen any yet. I did talk to a guy who had. Our weather has been pretty steady, I have high hopes.

I saw my first clutch of pheasant chicks this spring. It was just south west of Satanta. Only problem is it just contained 2 chicks. Looks like they are getting a lot of rain.

I did see a hatch of quail chicks right before they started cutting wheat around my buddies house, and heard several more whistling around out in the field and even one bird out in the beans. Sounds like the rain didn't wash all the birds away.

How many birds in this picture?

DSCF9111.jpg

How many chicks does she have?
DSCF9104.jpg

Anybody ready for some quail???

Nice pics Maynard! Hey, the sunflowers are looking good. How's the rainfall been treating you? I'll bet you're in better shape than we are. Don't let those in the top picture breed, I can't reliably hit quail at their normal speed! I sure don't want the quail migrating by September 3:)

Maynard, are those Scaled Quail or Bobs in the bottom picture? It looks like they have a little cotton top to them.

See a few young birds in my neighborhood NW of Sioux Falls. Unfortunately the dogs got a hold of a couple late hatch birds in the backyard. Pretty hard for them to get out of all the wet grass.
I even saw a nice cluth in Northwest IA very close to MN border, say south of Luverne. Not much cover for birds there tho more west around the lakes and south along the rivers.
________
MIKE HAWTHORN

Last edited:
Back