Is Bismuth Shot really more effective than Steel?

Blue Grouse season has started up so I am getting my first experience with TSS on them. Using a #11 3/8 oz at 1700fps load on them. Yes that sounds ridiculous but TSS is crazy stuff. It has the same amount of pellets as a #6 lead 1 1/4 oz shot 1300 fps and has the same penetration at 65 yards. Yet 4lbs of recoil vs 27lbs using a 6lb gun.

Only have a small sample size of 2 so far so can't make too many declarations. I have noticed that it absolutely shatters bone. Normally I see maybe a broken bone in a bird here and there, but both birds I've shot so far have just fully shatter wing or leg bones. One bird I shot through a leafy tree and still ended up killing it, but it made it a far way before dying (shatter leg so probably bad placement). The other bird dropped from the wing shatter but didn't die right away.

These were decently far shots like 30-40 yards. So not expecting to turn them into hamburger. Attached is the bird with wing shatter

I'll keep using it and update as I get a better feel for the good vs bad shots. But so far if #11 tss can do this on a grouse, #9 on pheasant should be very deadly.

Attachments

• 20240902_110323.jpg
    20240902_110323.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240902_110302.jpg
    20240902_110302.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Blue Grouse season has started up so I am getting my first experience with TSS on them. Using a #11 3/8 oz at 1700fps load on them. Yes that sounds ridiculous but TSS is crazy stuff. It has the same amount of pellets as a #6 lead 1 1/4 oz shot 1300 fps and has the same penetration at 65 yards. Yet 4lbs of recoil vs 27lbs using a 6lb gun.

Only have a small sample size of 2 so far so can't make too many declarations. I have noticed that it absolutely shatters bone. Normally I see maybe a broken bone in a bird here and there, but both birds I've shot so far have just fully shatter wing or leg bones. One bird I shot through a leafy tree and still ended up killing it, but it made it a far way before dying (shatter leg so probably bad placement). The other bird dropped from the wing shatter but didn't die right away.

These were decently far shots like 30-40 yards. So not expecting to turn them into hamburger. Attached is the bird with wing shatter

I'll keep using it and update as I get a better feel for the good vs bad shots. But so far if #11 tss can do this on a grouse, #9 on pheasant should be very deadly.
Tmi

It sounds like tss⚡️didn’t anchor either one of them?
I think there is something to be said for shot with a larger frontal area.

It sounds like tss⚡️didn’t anchor either one of them?
I think there is something to be said for shot with a larger frontal area.
No, but to be clear that's not what I planned for with this load.

It was decently far shots so I can't say if lead would have done any different.

I do want to reiterate that it is 3/8 Oz. Which allows me to run a 4lb 410. It's crazy light for doing big miles in the mountains, and an overall fun to shoot. While being non toxic which is a plus as I can jump shoot waterfowl while upland.

If I wanted great anchoring, a 1/2 or 3/4 oz load would probably do that job.

But I'll keep shooting it this whole year across the 5 species I hunt to get a better full understanding on it. Its currently still in experimental phase.

No, but to be clear that's not what I planned for with this load.

It was decently far shots so I can't say if lead would have done any different.

I do want to reiterate that it is 3/8 Oz. Which allows me to run a 4lb 410. It's crazy light for doing big miles in the mountains, and an overall fun to shoot. While being non toxic which is a plus as I can jump shoot waterfowl while upland.

If I wanted great anchoring, a 1/2 or 3/4 oz load would probably do that job.

But I'll keep shooting it this whole year across the 5 species I hunt to get a better full understanding on it. Its currently still in experimental phase.
I guess that’s what I was getting at . 1/2 or 5/8 ounce of 8or 9s would do a better job. 11 s are itty bitty even if they do have same energy as a #6 lead. . I don’t think you need the extra pattern density for grouse do you. And the extra bit of recoil shouldn’t be that big of deal you only shot a few shells.
I guess there’s the cost thing but any way you look at it you’re still shooting tss.

I guess that’s what I was getting at . 1/2 or 5/8 ounce of 8or 9s would do a better job. 11 s are itty bitty even if they do have same energy as a #6 lead. . I don’t think you need the extra pattern density for grouse do you. And the extra bit of recoil shouldn’t be that big of deal you only shot a few shells.
I guess there’s the cost thing but any way you look at it you’re still shooting tss.
The #11s I really loaded for chukar hunting, just testing it on grouse at the moment. I think a #10 would be just right on grouse. My #9 load is 1/2 oz for pheasant but I think that is over kill for grouse. The difference in cost does add up when using tss. Currently it's $42/box to reload for my 3/8 and then $47 for the #9.

Again still need more sample sizes. Can't rule out bad shots/ too far shots yet. Until then this stuff has been really fun to learn/experiment.

I use a 410 to hunt Blues…1/2 oz of 7.5 drops them all day long. Blue Grouse have very thin skin and doesn’t take much to bring them down.
Do you feel like you don't take shots when they are far out? I agree they are weak for taking down. But 1/2 7.5 is very low pellets. I practiced clays with 1/2 8.5 load and the range very quickly dies out. 40 yard shot would have hits that didn't break clays. But 20 yards and the 410 is amazing with the light load.

The #11s I really loaded for chukar hunting, just testing it on grouse at the moment. I think a #10 would be just right on grouse. My #9 load is 1/2 oz for pheasant but I think that is over kill for grouse. The difference in cost does add up when using tss. Currently it's $42/box to reload for my 3/8 and then $47 for the #9.

Again still need more sample sizes. Can't rule out bad shots/ too far shots yet. Until then this stuff has been really fun to learn/experiment.
They are fun to play with. I got to ask though patterning how can you see those tiny holes. I patterned some bismuth and had a hard enough time counting # 4s 😄
Old eyes.
I’m going to hopefully shoot some chickens in the morning with lead and then spend a little time patterning bismuth in a new choke.
Good luck with your load development, thanks for sharing your experience. I’ll be watching for more.

Do you feel like you don't take shots when they are far out? I agree they are weak for taking down. But 1/2 7.5 is very low pellets. I practiced clays with 1/2 8.5 load and the range very quickly dies out. 40 yard shot would have hits that didn't break clays. But 20 yards and the 410 is amazing with the light load.
Yes, most of my shots are within 25 yards and they come back dead. However, I have made shots at or around the 40 yard mark. I have not killed one stone dead at that distance with the 410, but it does bring them down with a broken wing. So, long story short, you are accurate with your distance projections.

Back