Iowa Boy

Smasher

I've been pheasant hunting for a few years. Looking to get a pup and do more solo hunting, but still go with my buddies on the drive and block hunts. My folks call me Gavin.

I'm biased a little Gavin, but look at a field bred golden retriever. They are the happiest dogs and can do it all when it comes to hunting.

Good to have another IOWA boy on the board, welcome. What part of the state are you in? I didn't see that in the profile....don't be afraid to add it. Why don't people add this...anonymity desired? Have you decided on a dog breed?

Gavin, the Golden can be a good all around breed if you can find a good pup from HUNTING (not show) stock. I have Labs because I hunt ducks as much as roosters and I find Labs to be wonderful, hardy, bird hunting machines. Genetics are everything! It's great to hunt with dogs because it's fun to see them work and they will find wing tipped and crippled birds you never could. If you hunt long enough you WILL need a four legged friend to help find birds; inevitably you'll wing tip some. Best of luck on your search for the right dog for you.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'm in the Des Moines area. While flushers are probably better at finding birds, I really enjoy watching a pointer. Maybe a GSP. I don't want to rush into it, so I'm just looking at options.

remy3424, I guess I didn't do too much in filling out my profile. I keep some stuff pretty close to the vest as there was one time on a quadcopter forum when I had my name and hometown and stuff and a dude started sending me facebook messages about beatijng me up and what not. I was joking around but this guy was super serious about his beliefs and then I ended up having to close my facebook page and start a new one so yeah that's why maybe some people keep some stuff anonymous.

I have a GSP, but if you aren't a hard-core pheasant hunter, there are better choices out there. We are 3 hours away from each other, so won't likely bump into you.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'm in the Des Moines area. While flushers are probably better at finding birds, I really enjoy watching a pointer. Maybe a GSP. I don't want to rush into it, so I'm just looking at options.
Welcome aboard! Idk about your assumption that flushers are better at finding birds. However I have 2 pointers so I may be biased 🤣

I would agree with Remy about a GSP being geared better towards a hard core bird hunter (if you are that's awesome). My bias is going to show here, but I fancy myself a relatively hardcore pheasant hunter (Maybe a notch below hardcore compared to some guys here who spend 100+ days afield) but I love my Small Munsterlanders. If you've never heard of them or have limited knowledge about the breed, do some reading about them and you'll hear how they can go from couch potato to hunting machine with a flip of a switch. I can attest to that 100%. My one is 9, and she'll lounge on the couch for days then when it's time to work she's a machine. My 2 year old is the same, however she does less lounging considering she's young.

But for a good balance of house dog and hunting partner, they are a wonderful choice. If you're at all interested in them, let me know or PM me and I can answer any questions you may have or point (no pun intended) you to a couple breeders I've had good luck with and other breeders that I've heard nothing but good things about.

Good stuff, fellas. I'm defintiely willing to keep my options open. Like I said I don't want to just get any old pup and call it a hunting dog. I want the right one.

Good stuff, fellas. I'm defintiely willing to keep my options open. Like I said I don't want to just get any old pup and call it a hunting dog. I want the right one.
Welcome Smusher. You're looking at the right time & have come to the right place for expert advice (myself excluded). Lots of different thoughts on training/hunting, but if your goal is to have a hunting/family dog, my opinion is to get him on birds. And more birds. And more birds. If you find the right dog, I'd try to get him so he's 5-6 months by opening day & hunt the little guy. If you have notions of training to a super high level & possibly competitions, maybe not. Some others on this site are more well versed in that sort of dog than I am. You a married man? If so, at some point she's going to have to like the dog too, so keep that in mind. Speaking from experience. Cuteness counts. Good luck with your search!

As long as you do your research, you will love it as long as you train it well. I love my brittany that we rescued. Liver and white (mainly liver) a non docked tail, and points. I never liked labs because I always hunted behind bad ones when I was growing up. I thought they were fat and bad at hunting.

Go for what catches your eye and fits your personality. Just know if you get a versatile dog, they need exercise and discipline. The next dog in our family will be a small munsterlander.

Go for what catches your eye and fits your personality. Just know if you get a versatile dog, they need exercise and discipline. The next dog in our family will be a small munsterlander.
Hey BPATT. I think a Small Munsterlander is a great choice. One tip about them though, you mention versatile dogs needing discipline, Munsterlanders tend to agree better with a softer approach both from a training perspective and discipline. They tend to be more timid, not when it comes to hunting or being around people of course, but when they mess up, all they really need is a stern "No". Both of mine, the most I have to do is raise my voice and say no and they look at me like "aww man I'm so sorry I messed up".

Not saying you were referring to a more heavy handed approach but just wanted to mention it since all breeds have their own quirks about them and not sure if you have much experience with them or not.

However, I do agree some breeds can be more of a knucklehead and do require a heavier approach.

Hey BPATT. I think a Small Munsterlander is a great choice. One tip about them though, you mention versatile dogs needing discipline, Munsterlanders tend to agree better with a softer approach both from a training perspective and discipline. They tend to be more timid, not when it comes to hunting or being around people of course, but when they mess up, all they really need is a stern "No". Both of mine, the most I have to do is raise my voice and say no and they look at me like "aww man I'm so sorry I messed up".

Not saying you were referring to a more heavy handed approach but just wanted to mention it since all breeds have their own quirks about them and not sure if you have much experience with them or not.

However, I do agree some breeds can be more of a knucklehead and do require a heavier approach.
Not saying strong had when I say discipline. I guess when I was grown up discipline means "to teach" so just teaching the basics. I wanted a "Soft" training dog that is why I love their personality and will be getting one! It's a few years away but I can't wait.

Not saying strong had when I say discipline. I guess when I was grown up discipline means "to teach" so just teaching the basics. I wanted a "Soft" training dog that is why I love their personality and will be getting one! It's a few years away but I can't wait.
Yeah definitely. Sounds like you know what I mean then. Some people's discipline is a heavy hand so wanted to make sure haha

Welcome to the forum! I am new here too. I went to my first hunt with my uncle for the first time a few weeks ago and I really loved it so I make my reasearch and look forwrd to go again.

Back