Interesting Habitat reading

TerryB, thanks for posting. this article is one of the best I have read on recent landscape changes, drivers, and the need for response and impact.

I did not realize how serious the issue is in South Dakota. No doubt the biggest acres converter in the nation.

And in addition, the prime pheasant golden triangle is one of the biggest areas to convert prairie habitat to corn and bean crops.

I like the suggestions it offers in order to effect change by tying conservation to crop insurance incentives.

The farm bill needs some serious work. I passed this on to my PF Biologist.

Chris........I'm with you.......We all knew there was a problem but I don't think anyone knew to what extent. But it's par for the course........I've been coming for years......last year great habitat but bird numbers down....this year the bird numbers will likley be up with no WIA where I hunt........one of my best WIA's (200+ acres) was just cut yesterday down to 1 in stubble.....Got skunked last year on a waterfowl draw and Duck hunting was OUTSTANDING.......got a draw this year and there's no water in most of the potholes we hunt.........story of my life.......I'm $220 out on licenses and I haven't left Indiana........

Back