In memory of dogs that have passed on

We had a golden named Mindy. My dad got her when i was 6 yrs old. I went along while my dad hunted behind her. I hunted behind her when I was old enough. We bred her when I was 10 and kept a male for me, Blade. I hunted behind both of them. What a pair. We had to put Blade down due to tounge cancer when I was 15. Mindy finally had to be put down when I was 19. You can count the times I've cried since I've been 10 or 11, on one hand. When each of my 3 kids were born and the days those two dogs left. I,d better stop thinking anout it or I'll have to use two hands to count em.:(

Sport, My First Bird Dog

Sport the Brittany was my first bird dog. I was middle aged when I got him and I had the patience to bring him along unhurriedly. He was an instinctual hunter, pointer, and retriever who needed little training. A November pup, he was a year old his first pheasant season. Several hunting scenes will always stick in my mind. On about his second or third hunt I knocked down a pheasant but it kept jumping up and trying to fly. Sport ran to it and as he got near it the bird took another jump. Sport leapt in the air and knocked the bird down with his front legs, pinned it, and then retrieved to hand. Another time I knocked a bird down on the other side of a pig and barb wire fence. Without a word or signal from me Sport leapt the fence, picked up the bird, trotted back and then again effortlessly leapt the fence with the bird in his mouth. So beautiful. A final scene was in some CRP on a mild dry day. Sport went on point, quartered, and reset his point about a dozen times for about fifty yards as we stalked what turned out to be a covey of hens that finally flushed well within range. A film of that would have been an example of a bird dog in action at the highest skill level possible. Now I have Gus the Brittany and he's just as good. I am so lucky.

Last edited:
2cockers,thanks austin was just 8 1/2 we rushed him to the vet but her said it was a hart attack or a seizure it just happen so fast with no sign of anything

2cockers,thanks austin was just 8 1/2 we rushed him to the vet but her said it was a hart attack or a seizure it just happen so fast with no sign of anything

Wayne, very sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel. We lost one of our Rhodesians this past September to a very similar scenario. He was about the same age.

Even though Rocky has been gone now for over a year I still miss the ol' boy. He was a big Brittany (50 lbs.) and probably the best hunting dog I've ever owned. I ran him in a Bird Dog Challenge when he was about 5, something neither of us had ever done. We ran against about 30 other dogs, mostly high powered GSP's. Had I not missed the first shot we would have won the competition. Even after the miss he still found our 5 birds and we finished in 4th place. Here's a picture of Rocky in his prime.

Rocky.jpg
[/IMG]

Browning was the second GSP I ever owned. One of those dogs that comes around once in a lifetime. Easy to train, with all the natural ability you can ask for. I only ever lost one bird with her and it was my fault. She pointed a quail for me and I wounded it, but it flew into some cattails. Went in there and she locked up again, this time I missed it and it flew way out into this marsh and we never found it. My most memorable time , was when we were in Kansas , she locked up on a rooster and I knock it down. It was running, so of she went over this hill. About 3 minutes later, here she comes , rooster in tow and locks up again. Another rooster gets up and I do the same damn thing. The look on her face was priceless!! I call her back and she gives me the first bird and off she goes over that hill again, soon to return with the second rooster. She was 16 when I had to put her down. I miss her greatly. I hope someday there will be another one just like Browning.

Fabulous Dog

Browning was the second GSP I ever owned. One of those dogs that comes around once in a lifetime. Easy to train, with all the natural ability you can ask for. I only ever lost one bird with her and it was my fault. She pointed a quail for me and I wounded it, but it flew into some cattails. Went in there and she locked up again, this time I missed it and it flew way out into this marsh and we never found it. My most memorable time , was when we were in Kansas , she locked up on a rooster and I knock it down. It was running, so of she went over this hill. About 3 minutes later, here she comes , rooster in tow and locks up again. Another rooster gets up and I do the same damn thing. The look on her face was priceless!! I call her back and she gives me the first bird and off she goes over that hill again, soon to return with the second rooster. She was 16 when I had to put her down. I miss her greatly. I hope someday there will be another one just like Browning.

Great dog and stories of what she did for you in the field.

Rocky Looks All Business

Even though Rocky has been gone now for over a year I still miss the ol' boy. He was a big Brittany (50 lbs.) and probably the best hunting dog I've ever owned. I ran him in a Bird Dog Challenge when he was about 5, something neither of us had ever done. We ran against about 30 other dogs, mostly high powered GSP's. Had I not missed the first shot we would have won the competition. Even after the miss he still found our 5 birds and we finished in 4th place. Here's a picture of Rocky in his prime.

Rocky.jpg
[/IMG]

Rocky looks like a dog with nothing but bird business on his mind when afield. Great looking dog and I am sure you miss him a lot.

I am in college now and I got a call today saying that my parents are putting my english setter Max down due to cancer. I got him when I was ten years old. He rode on my lap the whole way home from the kennel. He had all the natural ability you could ask for in a dog. A few memories stick out in my mind. One was when he was a puppy and I was tranning him. we would find him out in our tree line pointing butterflies. The first year of hunting he was on point and my dad walked up to flush the bird and it ended up being a cyote in a whole. It was pretty funny watching my dad scramble. as he scrambled there ended up being a pheasant right there. We all initially thought he made a mistake but it was the pheasant he was pointing. Another time he was full bore in these woods I would hunt had his head down and was following a trail all the studden he bounced off of a fence. The dog ended up being great. I even wounded a bird once and he found it in a hole dug it out and brought it too me. He was very loyal when ever anyone shot a bird he would retrieve it to me. the last 5 years or so he got to the point where I dont know if it was a fluke or he just knew but he wouldnt even point hens any more just cocks. It was amazing. what a dog. RIP

Very sorry for your loss. Good times and Good memories! RIP!:(

Rod

Back