In case your not counting....

What happens on Sept. 1st in CO? That is the KS dove opener and I too am excited about that date. It is a great chance to do some wingshooting and check in on the pheasant population.

Grouse, Chucker, and Doves... also the "canned" season starts, which isn't my favorite, but its something! Just another reason to play with the dog :thumbsup:

I was unaware that there were wild chukar in CO. That is noteworthy. I've always wanted to hunt grouse as well. Can a guy find both grouse and chakar in the same region of CO?

Chukkar in CO

I looked for chukar in CO in the Book Cliffs (sp?) but never found any. Northern NV is great for chukar however.

Last edited:
9-1 in CO

What happens on Sept. 1st in CO? That is the KS dove opener and I too am excited about that date. It is a great chance to do some wingshooting and check in on the pheasant population.

On Sep. 1 in CO the grouse season opens too. Dusky (nee blue) grouse in the pine and aspens, sage grouse in the sage brush. Walden is good place to hunt both out of with state wildlife areas in the sagebrush and pine and aspen forests in the surrounding mountains. Catch a big trout in the Delaney Buttes Lakes if you tire of hunting.

Last edited:
Somebody made a comments about Dove hunting and I have never seen so many doves at my place in south central South Dakota.

I know absolutely nothing about Dove habitat but I assume they must be nesting in area and doing pretty well.

Somebody made a comments about Dove hunting and I have never seen so many doves at my place in south central South Dakota.

I know absolutely nothing about Dove habitat but I assume they must be nesting in area and doing pretty well.

I'll do my best to thin them out before they come back to SD!:thumbsup:

I'm planning a trip around mid Sept. Sharptails, and Huns. And to scout around, figure out the best spot to open on roosters.

I have seen wild chukar in SW Kansas, but never during hunting season. I will have to check the regs, but it has been that chukar was not a game bird and could be hunted any time.

I have heard that Kansas now has the collared dove classed as a nusiance bird and can shoot anytime and it does not add to your dove count during dove season. Got to look that one up also. I did see whitewings in Dodge last week. It was a first for me, but I understand they have been here for two years. It may be that dove hunting will become like duck hunting and you will have to make an id before you squeeze the trigger.

I need to do some research on the current Kansas regs.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

What a drag that would be... Fast, hard to hit, and now you also have to ID the little hum hums...

33 and counting

yes, I'm sure I should have something better to do at work... :rolleyes:

33 days? I better hustle to get everything ready in time! Thanks for starting the countdown, that's a good idea. We'll have some better eye-witness accounts to share after the dove opener. Not sure which part of the state I'm going to hunt dove in this year. From the reports I've got so far, SW KS may not be worth scouting.

Back