I'm thinking of moving to Colorado how is the pheasant hunting

Cody

Hi I live in Illinois and I think my wife and I are going to move to Colorado within the next couple years. I am wondering how the pheasant hunting is there, if there is any? Or what's a good place near by Colorado with good Phesant hunting.

We have birds!! Not like the Dakota's or Kansas, but they are out there in Eastern Colorado for the most part. Plus you have Blue Grouse, Sharptails,Sage Grouse, Chukar, Ptarmigan in the Western and Central part of the State.Scaled quail and bobwhites can be found as well, generally SE for scaled quail and bobwhites and NE for bobwhites.:cheers:

There are no pheasants in Colorado! :eek:

Bird hunting is good as long as we receive adequate moisture and habitat stays in tact.

Thank you guys I'm looking forward to moving out there! I'm thinking around Colorado Springs. I'm also looking forward to fly fishing there!

Thank you guys I'm looking forward to moving out there! I'm thinking around Colorado Springs. I'm also looking forward to fly fishing there!

pheasant hunting sucks around the springs and so does fly fishing. there's some scaled quail hunting south of there.

pheasant hunting sucks around the springs and so does fly fishing. there's some scaled quail hunting south of there.

Great flyfishing within an hour of the Springs!! Dream Stream is just up the road!! Deckers isn't bad either....Pheasants will be East SE of the Springs along with Quail.

Thank you And I can't wait! I just want to make sure im going to like the place me and my wife pick. I'm a industrial electrician and I can find work pretty easy so I just want to make sure were we pick is perfect. I will drive a couple hours to fish or hunt birds to its no problem.

Nope, I'm not going there for work. Do you have any suggestions of neat areas in coloradoto to live at? I just want To go out west to Colorado and I'm in the electrical field so I need to make sure there is work where I decide to move to.

The springs are nice, people there drive crazy though. I like it up north a lot better. Loveland ft Collins area is really nice along with all the surrounding areas an you would be hours closer to better hunting.

I noticed that too, they are crazy! And I'm going to look into that area. I'm going out there again in the summer so I'm going to drive all over. thank you for letting me know I really appreciate it sir

I live in Colorado Springs and its 15 years past being a great place. Its crowded, the dream stream is crowded, the Arkansas river is crowded, hunting area's are getting crowded and the Texans moving here are bringing that leasing plague!

The wife and I would love to leave to WY or MT but unfortunately family keeps is here

I'm going to look into all of that before I decide to move. I want to make sure I make the right decision. thank all of you, for your input

I've lived in Colorado Springs for 13+ years...COLORADO native but lived all over the place, including the upper Midwest for 18 years. What I miss is WATER. I miss being able to drive 15 minutes to a small inland lake and catching bluegills or perch out of a canoe. I miss being able to duck hunt in a marsh less than 30 minutes from home and being able to watch college football in the afternoon.

Colorado has some great hunting and SOME great fishing, but if you live in the Springs you will have to drive two hours at least to get to it. In years when we have good moisture we have some pretty decent pheasant hunting. You'll generally work for your birds but there are birds out there. Blue grouse hunting is very good, as is scaled quail. Areas north of Monument generally have more moisture than areas south of Monument (the Palmer Divide). And if you go to someplace like Loveland or Ft. Collins you'll be closer to the best pheasant hunting (NE Colorado), best duck hunting (S. Platte River), best elk hunting (Steamboat Springs to Meeker/Craig). But, you will miss the 'green' and the WATER...

"Front Range" (basically Fort Collins down through Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo) is the population center. Lots of people, traffic, things to do; that's where the jobs are because that's where the people are. Then there is Grand Junction on the western slope.

If you live on the front range, pheasant hunting will be two to three hours away no matter where you reside. Most years it's worth it though. There is good fishing in front range lakes/reservoirs (walleye, bass, catfish, wipers, some panfish). For fly fishing you'll have to go to the mountains and things are closer if you live north of Denver vs south of Denver. But much is 2+ hours from Colorado Springs. There is a lot of great hunting and fishing - just have to be willing to drive a bit.

Also, the southern half of the state is dryer than the north half. It's hard to grow lawn grass in Colorado Springs, easier in Denver and north. Just hope you're not another liberal moving out here for the weed....

Back