Ikank you

OldDublin

I give a public thank you to those individuals in the PGC and those individuals who worked alongside the PGC, et al to help deliver a better pheasant option this year.
While no one will honestly confuse the experience with wild-er plains birds under bigger skys, I have never understood the need to rate based soley upon the measure of wild.
Whether that downplaying need to rate comes from ego or luck of residency or, some sad concept of Internet competition.....it speaks to little that I wish to recognize.

I took my 12 year-old setter on Saturday and two seperate birds where found and made good within 30 minutes or so. Now, that time may be the downside for many, as "too easy" was patently obvious.
One bird was pointed 80 yards into the woods, flushed at my brush-cracking and fell where Patch was able to locate him and get flews on feathers.
A fairly thin and narrow strip of switch was next and Patch worked the edge and inside untill I saw him turn to me....obviously working a runner. Shortly after I saw the switch move a rooster cackled aloft, dropped with head up and Patch got the fun of ending the rooster's hopes.
The lad did swell and I think he knew it.
Easy hunt?...yes.
Representative of much value at a barbershop?...no.

But, when looked at from the position of a setter who has no concept that Time is not endless and from the point of view of an owner wishing to provide opportunity/memories while understanding Time all too well...appraising the released pheasant experience in Pennsylvania past those measures I found....is patently wrongheaded.
As it would be with an equal experience in any other state.
Well struck, PGC.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very good hunt with an aging friend,it doesn't get much better than that.Your assessment of what makes a good hunt is on the money and I agree about the effort the PGC has shown toward the small game hunter.

Back