If you wing a bird

Had a wounded bird crawl down an embankment of a river (sheer dirt cutout) and into a hole. My old Vizsla eventually tracked him and it took everything he had to go on point, nearly upside down. I am convinced to this day that the bird knew that hole was there. I cannot for the life of me believe it simply happened upon it as it ran away.

And it was not easy to get my dog to actually come off point and grab that bird, but we eventually got him to do it. None of us had any chance of crawling down to retrieve. It was 20ft of sheer dirt nearly straight down into river.

The wind , the excitement of the first hunt of the year, the dry conditions. Some days it just happens.
I went out yesterday , was supposed to be a tune up for pheasants in a week. 30 mile an hour wind, First freeze, went from dry to really dry. .
Turned into a shit show. Poor shooting, dogs that acted like they’ve never picked up a bird.
I lost two and they weren’t doubles. The first one was going down and then got a little bit of wing under it, should have double pumped it. It went behind a hill, may have sailed a little bit, but should have been found. Me and the Boykin looked all over the place for it but never found it.
Later I stoned a second one was stone dead. The peak ran over it and kept going into the next county running a pheasant. Boykin was on line but pulled up short. Looked for 30 minutes took them to the truck, watered them and went and looked another 30.
I looked at video last night. Partly on me , in the excitement I lost my mark. Had them looking 20 yds left of where they should have been. They still should have found it , I don’t know times they ran over that bird.
I should put up the video and send you a private link. Never lost a chicken before they are an easy kill. It was horrible.

The wind , the excitement of the first hunt of the year, the dry conditions. Some days it just happens.
I went out yesterday , was supposed to be a tune up for pheasants in a week. 30 mile an hour wind, First freeze, went from dry to really dry. .
Turned into a shit show. Poor shooting, dogs that acted like they’ve never picked up a bird.
I lost two and they weren’t doubles. The first one was going down and then got a little bit of wing under it, should have double pumped it. It went behind a hill, may have sailed a little bit, but should have been found. Me and the Boykin looked all over the place for it but never found it.
Later I stoned a second one was stone dead. The peak ran over it and kept going into the next county running a pheasant. Boykin was on line but pulled up short. Looked for 30 minutes took them to the truck, watered them and went and looked another 30.
I looked at video last night. Partly on me , in the excitement I lost my mark. Had them looking 20 yds left of where they should have been. They still should have found it , I don’t know times they ran over that bird.
I should put up the video and send you a private link. Never lost a chicken before they are an easy kill. It was horrible.
I rarely loose a sharptail, but it can happen. You really looked hard,so I can't fault you.I lost a bunch of pheasants last year shooting a pea shooter that I like.I havnt lost any this year so far shooting 12 and 16.

Browndogs I lost one sharptail in September and it was similar conditions. It was the first bird I shot which really sucked. There were multiple birds flushing and I lost my specific mark. It was a 30 yard shot, looked and looked, nothing. Every other bird the entire trip was a relatively easy find.

Back