Icy conditions - anyone hunt recently?

nstric

I'm in central Iowa and we still have ice covering everything . . . grass, trees, etc.

Have any of you attempted a hunt since this most recent storm?

Part of me wants to give the birds a break. Another part wonders how stealth one could hunt with each step afield resulting in a "crunch".

Anyone been out recently? I'd guess the birds to be grouped up pretty well by now.

We got out today for a little while. Only got rain (lots of it) here in eastern Iowa. Abbie, my pup did great, our shooting not so much...

Last edited:
Thanks, it was hard just to carry a camera, but the pictures and memories will last a lot longer than a bird or two. I will carry the shotgun next time though.

Is it still icy in west & central Iowa? Our weather here looks moderate clear into mid December.

Nate - I took a relatively quick walk yesterday early afternoon in Warren County before the football game. There is no ice at all left here and was only minimal amounts left yesterday when I went out. I did not see a single bird, hen or rooster, in a 1.5 hour walk. This is the first time I have hunted this spot this year and not seen a bird at all. This is a spot where there have been birds every time I have walked it since July. My guess is they were bunched up somewhere else that I did not get to.

Hens hens and more hens

I decided to get out for a bit today and hit the road around 11:30 we drove 1.5 hours north and hunted around Jefferson. First field we hit all of the grass was bent over and covered with ice. Gunner pointed a total of 13 hens in that field and not one rooster.

Next field we got to at 3:30 and 40 feet from the truck gunner goes on point, another hen. We make our way down to the end of the field and turn around to go back to the truck. About halfway back gunner goes on point and guess what......another hen. We didn't see one rooster today in the 4 hours or so that we hunted.

It was a good day to be out and watch the dog work!:thumbsup:

Hunted all three days. Ice is just about gone in north western Iowa, but now 5-9" of snow coming again. Oh joy. Saw a bunch of hens and few roosters. Took my 5-month old lab out to chase some. She's starting to get the hang of this thing.

Back