Ice storm

Hunted over the weekend in the same areas as the opener in an area that was hit by heavy ice. Noticed no drop off in bird numbers. Kind of bummed the season is over. Thanking the Lord for another season where I got to get out with my dad several times- great memories were made, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do than walk those fields with my family and close friends.

Hunted over the weekend in the same areas as the opener in an area that was hit by heavy ice. Noticed no drop off in bird numbers. Kind of bummed the season is over. Thanking the Lord for another season where I got to get out with my dad several times- great memories were made, and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do than walk those fields with my family and close friends.

The birds we are shooting, both phez and quail are in better body shape with more fat than usual for this time of year. The ice wasn't on long enough to have any ill affects. My buddy got sunburned today, that doesn't happen often Jan 30. We are going hard all day tomorrow then driving home Wedn

We shot a few quail and a couple roosters around Hoisington on Saturday. We were all amazed at the amount of fat on the quail when I cleaned them.

Not only have the birds seemed to be fatty but most of the quail I've shot this year seem to be big birds. Big birds with good sized breasts on them. Maybe it's just me I don't know.

Not only have the birds seemed to be fatty but most of the quail I've shot this year seem to be big birds. Big birds with good sized breasts on them. Maybe it's just me I don't know.

I too noticed this more so on my last two trips. The quail were much bigger. Don't know if it was better carry over from last year or what. I've raised Wisconsin Jumbos and Tennessee Reds. Which the reds are quite a bit smaller. Most Bobwhites are right in between the two. But these last few trips the quail resembled the Jumbos we used to raise.

Was just north in Nebraska on KS border shot several Quail & I think I shot mostly young birds or small birds ??? Had plenty of fat on them & Covey's were nice sized But way small compared to others & pen raised I have had.. quail did great this year...

Was a lil ice on shady spots & low spots of fields but there is lots of open areas with plenty of food for them little rockets to get feed...

Back