Ia. Opening report

Cackleburs

Hi. CB here, I'm a newbie here, but an old pheasant hunter. Glad I found this site.
As usual I was very nervous opening morning because due to many reasons I'm down to about zero on access to private ground. So I mostly hunt WMAs for my birds. Similar to duck-hunting I staked out a chunk of wma at 6:30 a.m. for the 8:00 opener. I'm hunt N.Central Ia. and I was totally dumb-struck when not a single other car/rig showed up at the wma! My buddy from Anoka, Mn and I had the entire wma to ourselves on opening morn. I was so perplexed that I thought I had the date wrong! The north wind that was predicted was absolutly wrong for our north to south plan, but little we could do about it. At least the 15 to 25 mph blow didn't materialize that weather.com declared. It was maybe 10-13 range and swirly.
I was hunting a 10 yr old Brit and my buddy had a good Yellow Lab. I say that grudgingly, because I've been a pointer snob for many decades and have
a fairly strong bias against them big-headed bulldozer labs, but we've been friends since the craddle and he's worked hard to have Deuce work close and be totally field trained so I have forgiven him. His dog actually pointed two roosters, so what can I say?

As it turned out we had an ultra-excellent hunt. We collected our 6th bird on the walk back to the truck at 10:00 a.m. The birds were plentiful on this piece of public ground. We never heard another shot from any other party. We found all birds we brought down. Most were this year birds, but two were long-tail two yr.olds. To hunt with a childhood pal over two good dogs and harvest a few birds is what it's all about. This one goes in life-long file of Good Times Afield. Hope all of yours went as well. Hope to read a few more. Time to light the fire.:cheers:

Cackleburs,

That is awesome! Now I'm kicking myself for not getting an Iowa liscense. I really wanted to go there this weekend. Where I went for the MN opener, it was soooooo crowded, it wasn't even fun. Everyone I talked to (I'm new to MN, from ND), said Iowa would be just as bad. Funny thing, after that opening day in MN, I've had that same WMA to myself.

Hey WJ This was VERY unusual. I've gone to this spot on opening morn for about 7 yrs now and this was an anomly, both in hunting pressure and birds. I don't quite understand it, because a drove west a couple of miles to a larger more popular wma and it was a sea of flourescent orange. I turned into a parking lot that had 15 hunters standing in a group with that many or more dogs. I rolled down my window and asked the closest hunter the standard "How'd we do?" and he lifted one rooster up and said "At least we got one!" My buddy spit his coffee onto the inside of my windshield and worked hard to suppress a chuckle. When I was asked the return question I just responded with "We did okay" We drove away and then realized what a special gift the hunting gods had layed before us. Pressure will be less from here on, (Except for what I call the 2nd opener which is Thanksgiving weekend rolls around. That's when everyone's kith and kin goes out for an annual t-day hunt.) I myself am a transplant. I came from Mn to work in Ia. 30 yrs ago and the main draw for me was the bird hunting. I have some horrendous opening day stories from both states, but not this season. Gluck

Hey guys. Does anyone else have an Iowa report of the 1st weekend of 2007? My plans are to go to central Iowa in a couple of weeks. The last two years it has not been particularly good hunting....it's still fun with a buddy and a few setters.

Cackleburs, Congrats on a great hunt. Yup! that's what it's all about.:thumbsup:

I was out Saturday but had to miss Sunday. We saw a few birds, got a couple of them (thanks to those big headed labs you talked about!) It was a beautiful day, which means poor hunting, and there was Corn standing EVERYWHERE. I hunt almost all private land, but think the public ground may have been better if you could find some without a corn field. 2-3 weeks should be good. Most of that corn will be gone and the birds will come back to the grass.

I've heard..

Hey guys. Does anyone else have an Iowa report of the 1st weekend of 2007? My plans are to go to central Iowa in a couple of weeks. The last two years it has not been particularly good hunting....it's still fun with a buddy and a few setters.

I have heard that Iowa county and Poweshieki ??? county are ok....lots of corn still up but if you can find a field close the mornings and afternoons have been productive. In a couple weeks some corn should be down and move birds to grass and draws. My cousin got limits last Sat and Sun. working fields like this. Nothing you don't know however..Good luck!!!

Great IA opener

Two buddies and I hunted in northwest Iowa this last weekend and on Monday also. Hunted all private land and got our 27 birds and only had to hunt until noon every day. We prefer to hunt colder weather but can't argue with the success. We did see alot of trucks from MN and ILL but most were on public land and were not successful. can't wait to go back when the weather is colder and the big headed dogs don't need to be in the water all the time and the short haired breeds are in by the fireplace.

Good report and glad you had fun.

I have hunted Poweshiek County for about 10 years and developed a good relationship with mane farmers. We never hunt opening week-that is for you local folks.

I am headed your way on the 10th. I am told the farmers are cutting corn as fast as is possible. Hopefully, it will be harvested by the time we get there.

It's my annual vacation. If the birds are there-great. If not-it beats work.

Dave

Back