I lost my wild game trial dog

Tori

Hullo Everyone, I have not posted for what seems like ages...it is almost the anniversary of me losing my lovely homebred EB in a tragic vehicle accident...he was an up and coming wild game trialer and he really left his mark...fellow competitors christened him The Flying Squirrel...the fotos below are those taken on our last hunting trip together during last year's gamebird season...a week before the tragedy...he was pointing a covey of Californian Quail in the top one... the Cali was introduced into New Zealand in 1865...their numbers in the upper regions of the South Island were so vast in the early years of the last century that birds were exported canned to the UK.

Later in the day, he got scent of a Grey Teal which I presumed to be nesting...she was about a month early in her maternal duties!!
The Grey Teal was self-introduced from Australia. I think the Teal is better on the plate than the Mallard, although it has not been on our gamebird schedule for a number of years now.

This is the sire of my black and white boy... three weeks ago we managed to put up a hen pheasant about ten minutes after I had taken this foto. We still have a further six weeks of our upland gamebird season to go...the duck season for this province closed at the end of June.

Last edited:
Very sorry - looked like a terrific hunter, full of drive. Well, got another dog and give it just as good a life as you gave the other.

Thank you both so much for your replies...yes, I have another puppy coming on...he is all nose and I look forward to hunting with him next year and perhaps a novice trial or two...here he is...

Last edited:
Back