I know this is a pheasant forum, but...

whitewater

I hunted around Wakeeney and Cedar Bluff this past Nov. We shot some phez and quail but we also got into some ducks on Cedar Bluff. We hunted 3 days straight without another soul seen taking advantage of the great duck hunting. I'll be coming back this Thanksgiving. Is there typically going to be more competition for the ducks here that week or do folks in Kansas just don't bother with the ducks. What about quevira and Cheyenne Bottoms.
We are from La. We certainly have some good duck hunting down here but its a job to make a hunt. We need to wakeup at 2 to get to the water in time to launch the mud boats and pirogues, we need 3 or 4 dz. deeks and you sink over your head in the mud. Ya'll got it easy. Walk a hundred yards, throw out 12 deeks and stand by a tree.

Cheyenne Bottoms has the best duck hunting in the state but a lot of people hunt there. I don't know much about western kansas duck hunting b/c I only hunt ducks in the eastern part of the state. Duck hunting has become more popular here in kansas but I guess theres not the crowd because we have so much game to chase here in kansas that people hunt a larger variety of game. We love to chase upland birds a lot and I think in La. where you live people hunt ducks because upland birds might not be as popular. Good luck and thanks for coming to kansas to hunt.

I always get a Kansas duck stamp when I'm there hunting upland birds.

Paid off last year. As I was finishing a hunt on some wiha I noticed 4 mallards landed in some large puddles.

Back at the truck, I traded lead shot for steel and made a darn fine stalk. Managed to knock down a fat hen mallard. My lab made a great retrieve on a very lightly hit bird. It made my trip.

lefty

Don't overlook Texas Lake Wildlife Area, McPherson Wetlands, and the other reservoirs. They can provide excellent hunting for ducks and geese. If you hunt during the week, you may have the place mostly to yourself.

I don't know what Kansas is like for dusck nesting this year but South Dakota is full of water (Potholes) and I flushed more Teal, Pintails, Mallards and Shovelers off my farm that ever. North Dakota is one big pothole with all the snowmelt and water they have. I just mention this as ducks are migratory with most of duck breeding done in SD/ND outside of Canada.

Should be a good shoot this fall in annual migratory bird haunts.

Don't overlook Texas Lake Wildlife Area,

It has been a good number of years now since I hunted Texas Lake, but it remains a favorite even though I only hunted ducks there once. About 1986 I was getting my sons involved in hunting, but our farm was in a re-building phase for upland game. At that time the WIHA's were not, so we hunted a lot of public hunting areas, including Bryon Walker, Texas Lake, Pratt Sandhills, Cimarron National Grasslands. What we found at Texas Lake was a nice population of pheasant and quail and non-toxic shot was required. At that time, that meant steel and we had a difficult time finding steel shot in smaller sizes for the quail, but we did and we hunted the area numerous times and did well for upland game. Even though I have not hunted Texas Lake for many years, if I was by there and duck season not open, but upland game was, I would take some non-toxic loads and look for birds.

Prairie Drifter- I know more ponding was being constructed where the center pivots had been. Is there still good populations of pheasant and quail?

Back