I just gotta say:

FieldKing

:cheers: been over 100 degrees several days in a row here in Indiana, time for a beer! Hope Ks gets lots of rain

We are a family that enjoys our outside time in the summer, but this year is different. We go for about 2 or 3 days then we all want to find something to do inside. Some relief is said to be on its way.

The weather and precipitation Kansas gets this coming fall and winter will clue us as to what kind of changes to expect next summer.

Or not.

For what this is worth, on Wednesday I visited with a wheat farmer who lives outside Ulysses. He told me that while combining a wheat field -- an early harvest, he added -- he saw only one pheasant chick the whole time, and there appeared to be no mother nearby to help that one chick. Whereas in normal years previous, while harvesting this same field he would see multiple groups of chicks being led by their mothers. The place was lousy with pheasants.

Last summer out there was similarly hostile to his pheasants -- to the point where he took his property offline as a hunting spot for authorized guests. And he suspended hunting them himself, for that year. He's looking at doing the same things this fall if Ulysses doesn't get rains and soon.

I thanked him for recognizing the high value of pheasants, and for changing his operating methods so as to create what's essentially a private wildlife refuge? Pretty cool guy is this farmer.

I'd like to also mention that the day after visiting with that farmer I was driving east out of Ulysses and spotted a rooster that had just crossed the road up ahead. When I drew even with him he was confidently creeping up to the perimeter fence of a huge confined beef feedlot. Doubtless on his way inside to help the unfortunate bovines put away any breakfast leftovers; maybe grab him a sip or two of water somewhere in the corral while he's at it. One smart bird.

Back